Buck Knife(s) and military use

doyler

The Buck folder (I suppose it was this 110 model) was very popular back in the early 80's with the cadre of the Air Assault School (Campbell). All of them wore that knife on their belt in the leather case with the Air Assault badge affixed to the flap. Of course, all the students on graduation went out and bought the same knife and it was all the rage.

This thread has put me in a tizzy...haven't been able to think about much besides Bucks since I first read it, several days ago. Bucks go back in my family, and I've been cruising eBay for days looking for a nice 110 to add to my collection. Found some interesting knives, and been amazed how much information is out there.

Thanks for the impetus, guys!

Steve

I picked this Bucklite up at Fort Bragg, probably in 1988. I carried it on my web gear while jumping, and then to Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1990-91. Stayed on my web gear until I retired in 1996. I have a picture of me taken after a night jump that shows the knife case duct-taped to my right shoulder strap. Actually used it on a jump to cut a release tie that failed to come undone when I dropped my rucksack.

For several years after my retirement it sat in my car; it has been replaced by a recent manufactured Gerber folder. Still one of my favorite knives.

Bucklite.jpg

I picked this Bucklite up at Fort Bragg, probably in 1988. I carried it on my web gear while jumping, and then to Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1990-91. Stayed on my web gear until I retired in 1996. I have a picture of me taken after a night jump that shows the knife case duct-taped to my right shoulder strap. Actually used it on a jump to cut a release tie that failed to come undone when I dropped my rucksack.

For several years after my retirement it sat in my car; it has been replaced by a recent manufactured Gerber folder. Still one of my favorite knives.

Bucklite.jpg

I carried the same one in Alaska. Gave it to one of my friend when I pcs'd

• 6 months later...
RON- I don't recall the "BUCK" model designation, but I think it was known as the "General" It was a fairly large knife, the scabbard was either a normal type, or it was in the holster type that flapped over the pommel then snapped down. These were PX items real popular in the mid-70's. I bought a Buck 110 in 1970, carried it a few years, but never really like it. Too hard to keep sharpened. Still have it, and belt sheath. Switched to a Gerber folder in 1975, narrower handle and easier to sharpen. SKIP

I have a Buck 120 General, that I bought at the old SF Bookstore on Smoke Bomb Hill in 1966. It came with the holster type sheath (Black). The 120 was the same as the shorter 119 but with a 7.5" blade, rather than the 5 incher of the 119.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Buck 120 General, that I bought at the old SF Bookstore on Smoke Bomb Hill in 1966. It came with the holster type sheath (Black). The 120 was the same as the shorter 119 but with a 7.5" blade, rather than the 5 incher of the 119.

Anyone have an idea how much the above knife would go for on the collector market? The pommel is drilled and has a paracord wrist strap. The black leather holster style sheath is in good condition, but the tip has some bite marks from the team dog :(

Anyone have an idea how much the above knife would go for on the collector market? The pommel is drilled and has a paracord wrist strap. The black leather holster style sheath is in good condition, but the tip has some bite marks from the team dog :(

I have seen 4 of these at the last couple guns shows I attended in my area.Some showing use and one being fairly nice with light sharpening.Prices were from $65-$125.I saw the $125 one again saturday.Nice knife and it hadnt sold.Dont know if this is actual market value or not?? I gave $35 for the 124 model that started this thread and no sheath.

RD

I have seen 4 of these at the last couple guns shows I attended in my area.Some showing use and one being fairly nice with light sharpening.Prices were from $65-$125.I saw the $125 one again saturday.Nice knife and it hadnt sold.Dont know if this is actual market value or not?? I gave $35 for the 124 model that started this thread and no sheath.

RD

Thanks, BTW you are correct about the hole being drilled by the owner, at least that's how mine got that way, and I can't recall ever seeing one come from the factory that way. I have to dig mine out of storage one of these days.

I have a buck General 120 which I got from a buddy of mine. He carried it and used it while in the Special Forces.

The blade only says "Buck" which makes it pre 1968. It is a good utilitarian knife. I am thinking of putting it up for sale on this site.

Thanks, BTW you are correct about the hole being drilled by the owner, at least that's how mine got that way, and I can't recall ever seeing one come from the factory that way. I have to dig mine out of storage one of these days.

:thumbsup:

Would love to see it.Have always liked the Buck knives.

• 3 weeks later...

Your Buck 124 is a very desirable knife. Most of them I've seen for sale go for no less than $125.00. Being an early model, yours would bring more. Nice find.

Your Buck 124 is a very desirable knife. Most of them I've seen for sale go for no less than $125.00. Being an early model, yours would bring more. Nice find.

Thanks

Now need to find a period sheath for it.

RD

I just scanned ebay really quick and was put into a state of shock to see what those old Bucks are bringing in.

Yes they do.

I dont follow them to closely but it seems they have a wide collector base.I had thought of selling the 124 when I bought it.By the time I got home I didnt want to.I showed it to a few knive guys at a show a while back.There was intrest but really no one wanted to put a price on it and I really was looking for the scabbard and not to sell it.

RD

They're great, strong knives, made in the US, with less regard to weight and more regard to strength. They bring more $ I still carry the LB7 I posted last in this thread, holds an edge like nothing else.

• 4 years later...

Sifting though the intenet the other day I saw a Model 124 like the initial one I posted(shown below).

The site called it a Divers model.it aso had the hole in th pommel.Were the otherBuck models dont.Mke sense a Diers knife would have a hole or a wrist layard o not to looset under water.

post-342-1280691478.jpg

I picked this Buck hunting pattern knife up this spring.I know Buck knives were and still are bought and used by military personal.I saw many of them in pawn shops when I was able to visit Ft.Campell back in 1979.

My question is does anyone have any solid info on the Buck markings that can date them to a specific time frame or period.The one I am posting looks like the Model 124 Frontiersman.Marked only BUCK USA.IT has a black handle and has the reddish spacers at top under the pommel and above the cross guard.The lanyard hole in the pommel was done by the original owner Im guessing as I havent seen this feature on othe Buck hunting patterns.

Feel free to post other examples and any info is greatly appreciated.I think the Buck knives are very under appreciated as they have seen a lot of use in the military.I know there is a strong collector base and intrest in them as well.

Thanks

RD

attachicon.gif2009_07270004.JPG

Nice!! I really like Bucks. I think the reason they may be under appreciated as far as military knives go is that although popular with the military, unless one is directly tied to a combat/military vet, it should be considered a commercial knife. They were not under Gov't contract(the M9 being the exception).

Sifting though the intenet the other day I saw a Model 124 like the initial one I posted(shown below).

The site called it a Divers model.it aso had the hole in th pommel.Were the otherBuck models dont.Mke sense a Diers knife would have a hole or a wrist layard o not to looset under water.

post-342-1280691478.jpg

There's another somewhat rare version from the Vietnam time frame that is really close to the Frontiersman called the #122 Buck Nemo dive knife, you can see, and read about them here -

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/969079-History-of-the-M124-Frontiersman .

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/755840-Buck-Print-AD-for-the-NEMO-dive-knife .

This is not my picture so I don't know the circumstances, but this was most likely private purchased. I never saw a buck master while I was in the Coast Guard!

post-83002-0-41689700-1453755325.jpg

My father was in the Army Corp of Engineers, he carried 2 buck knives. I have them somewhere but the one sheath has a DUI and other info on it that he added in the field. i don't see many here that have vet personalization so its pretty unique in that aspect. Maybe i will add some photos if i find it one of these days!