Merrills Marauders Patch

CorsairAce

Tell me about this patch. I know what the group did and everything. I wouldn't believe this patch is that common but I could be wrong. How rare is it?

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

Even though the US made patches, like yours, were worn, I believe this is a piece made in the 50s. Why? It appears from the front view that it was made on a blue medium (medium is what patch manufacturers refer to the background cloth to which the design is embroidered), not khaki.

This is true for some patches made post WW II for WW II units - not only are they made on a blue medium, they are found with olive green medium rather than khaki.

Yes your patch is one made post war.It is probably all cotton but still post war.you have to remember that Merrills Marauders were disbanded while still in the CBI theatre and many went on to form the MARS TASK FORCE.Many if not all patches(IMO) were done in country or theatre made as they call it.Many you will see only exibit the shield design and no tab bearing "Merrills Marauders".I have a nice Indian made MARS TASK FORCE with tab.I have seen some like yours being worn as a combat patch by members who remained in service or were National Guard or Reserve members after the war.For the most part they were made for collectors and were for sale after the war.

The one point I would like to clarify in this and many other posts and descriptions in on line auctions - WW II patches were not made of cotton. They were made of rayon, which is considered a natural fiber.

An article was published a few years ago in The Trading Post, and a couple of current patch manufacturers, in business since WW II, provided the info re: rayon for the article.

Yes, I have written a couple of detailed online articles on Rayon, and it's use during the Second World War. Also heavily used by the Third Reich.

Chris

88thcollector
The one point I would like to clarify in this and many other posts and descriptions in on line auctions - WW II patches were not made of cotton. They were made of rayon, which is considered a natural fiber.

An article was published a few years ago in The Trading Post, and a couple of current patch manufacturers, in business since WW II, provided the info re: rayon for the article.

Hi,

I know that rayon was used heavily, as early as the Span - Am War but are you saying that 100% of US made patches are rayon without any cotton content? I thought certain colors used in the embroidery were often rayon thread but that the khaki fabric and a lot of the patch was cotton.

Steve

Yes your patch is one made post war.It is probably all cotton but still post war.you have to remember that Merrills Marauders were disbanded while still in the CBI theatre and many went on to form the MARS TASK FORCE.Many if not all patches(IMO) were done in country or theatre made as they call it.Many you will see only exibit the shield design and no tab bearing "Merrills Marauders".I have a nice Indian made MARS TASK FORCE with tab.I have seen some like yours being worn as a combat patch by members who remained in service or were National Guard or Reserve members after the war.For the most part they were made for collectors and were for sale after the war.

August 3, 2007

Hello,

I've attached photos of the current style Army green I think 1958 change dress uniform with the US manufactured Merrills Marauders shoulder sleeve patch worn on the right shoulder. I picked this up a number of years ago at a Goodwill for $10.00. This confirmed to me that these US manufactured Merrills Marauders patches were legitimate and worn as combat patches post war.

Dennis

post-1389-1186198663.jpg

post-1389-1186198687.jpg

post-1389-1186198717.jpg

post-1389-1186198745.jpg