Naval Receiving Ships

siege1863

I have a collection of letters written by a sailor who, after basic training at the Sampson Naval Training Station, was sent to the Naval Receiving Ship at Pier 92 in New York. From there, he was assigned to the battleship USS ARKANSAS. Can someone better describe the role of these receiving ships?

Thanks.

I have a collection of letters written by a sailor who, after basic training at the Sampson Naval Training Station, was sent to the Naval Receiving Ship at Pier 92 in New York. From there, he was assigned to the battleship USS ARKANSAS. Can someone better describe the role of these receiving ships?

Thanks.

I was just thinking the same thing. I got my Grandfathers records from the archives last week and it said he was on the receiving ship USS Bridge then the USS McDougal. I wonder is if the receiving ships took the new seaman to the ships if they were already at sea? I really have no idea. I'm just guessing.

From our friends at Wikipedia (take it for what its worth):

Receiving Ships, Supply Ships, and Guard Ships

A receiving ship is any vessel that serves as a point of induction into the service for new recruits. Vessels were not built for the purpose of serving in this role, rather, vessels were appointed. This normally came at the end of a vessels combat career. As such, the vessels condition was such that it was best to remain in port, at anchor. Modifications to ships serving in this role often included the removal of weapons, and the erecting of a housing structures on the main deck. Upon release from receiving duties most ships were either decommissioned or transferred to a states Naval Militia.

Records for the receiving ship were particularly modest and as such very little history is recorded of these once proud ships upon impressment into receiving duties. The actual medical duties of these ships usually was defined by the space available, and based on the need, availability of local Naval Hospitals, and the availability of a medical staff. Each receiving ship played a different role as a hospital ship if any. Refits were done locally and at discretion, if at all. In addition to the receiving ships, store ships and guard ships often took on hospital ship, hospital tender, health ship, or quarantine duties as the need or opportunity arose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_US_Navy_hospital_ships

"A receiving ship is any vessel that serves as a point of induction into the service for new recruits..."

This seems to be incorrect. All that I have read suggests receivng ships were where the men reported AFTER basic training and before permanent assignment. They would not be a place of induction.

"A receiving ship is any vessel that serves as a point of induction into the service for new recruits..."

This seems to be incorrect. All that I have read suggests receivng ships were where the men reported AFTER basic training and before permanent assignment. They would not be a place of induction.

You are actually both correct. Prior to the establishment of "Shore" Basic Training, (1911), new recruits were sent to Receiving ships for initial training in the Navy. This was generally unstructured and of undeterrmined length as mast SAilors of the pre "Boot Camp" Navy were enlisted on service on a specific ship. They remained on the receiving ship long enough to get and paperwork done and to draw initial issue of clothing. They might receive some training, but first person accounts of the American Civil War period recount, sweeping, swabbing and shinning bright work (polishing brass). Additionally, receiving ships were where, at the time, Sailors were sent when their enlistments were up and they were being processed out of the Navy (mixing them in with the new recruits, not a good mix). After the establishment of Shore Basic Training, receiving ships were used a barracks ships to hold Sailors for further transfer to a permenate durty station. And, again, a place where at the end of their enlistments, they were sent for out processing.

Hope this helps

Steve Hesson

Thanks, Steve! I knew there was someone here with some insight on the subject. Perhaps my sailor will relate his experiences in the letters written while aboard the receiving ship. I am reading them in order and do not want to jump ahead!

Some quick research shows the receiving ship in question was the USS SEATTLE. Here is a photo of her as the receiving ship at Pier 92.

post-211-1280583505.jpg

I was just thinking the same thing. I got my Grandfathers records from the archives last week and it said he was on the receiving ship USS Bridge then the USS McDougal. I wonder is if the receiving ships took the new seaman to the ships if they were already at sea? I really have no idea. I'm just guessing.

[if your Grandfather was on the McDougal you should really read "The Torpedoboat Sailor" by Charles Minor Blackford Naval Institute Press 1968. If you cannot locate a copy PM me it was written by a man who may have worked with your Grandpa.

John]