Pre WWII Tanker Chevrons

SocietyBrandHatCo

SocietyBrandHatCo

All,

I just ran across these on Ebay and I had never seen this variation before. I've seen the pre and early WWII air corps chevrons with the wings/propellor in the center, but never chevrons made that way for any other branch. Does anyone else have similar stripes in their collections?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-PRE-WW2-US-TANKER...=item563e56f15a

-Pete

"Branch of Service", chevrons were popular prior to WWII and altho Air Corps chevrons are the most common, other branches had them also. You'll mostly find branches like Air Corps as mentioned but also Signal Corps and Tank Corps and a few others. These are a hold over design from WWI days and branch specific chevrons with the exception of Air Corps just about disappeared during WWII.

SocietyBrandHatCo
"Branch of Service", chevrons were popular prior to WWII and altho Air Corps chevrons are the most common, other branches had them also. You'll mostly find branches like Air Corps as mentioned but also Signal Corps and Tank Corps and a few others. These are a hold over design from WWI days and branch specific chevrons with the exception of Air Corps just about disappeared during WWII.

Lee,

Thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for other branch specific insignia from now on. I have a question: do you know if this sort of rank varied from unit to unit, or was it more of an individual to individual basis?

Thanks,

-Pete

Lee,

Thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for other branch specific insignia from now on. I have a question: do you know if this sort of rank varied from unit to unit, or was it more of an individual to individual basis?

Thanks,

-Pete

I think it was an individual soldier thing. They had to purchase those branch chevrons as they were not issued. Some commanders permitted the wearing of those and some did not.

I have a single tank corps Staff Sergeant chevron (embroidered on wool) that I stumbled across at an antique show several years ago. That is the only other tank chevron I have personally ever seen. The air corps chevrons seem to be a little more common, but still somewhat scarce.