What do you make of this? Mountain Rucksack??

Smokeshow

Hey guys, I wanted you opinion on this new find I just scored. I believe it to be a mountain rucksack from 1942 with the soldiers name and service number on it. His name is Pantley, J and his number is 734-65-48. I don't have any way to research this info so if someone is bored and wants a challenge I would be super grateful! The pack canvas is in great shape with no stains and the leather straps are supple and are all present. The only thing missing is the belly strap which is common I believe. I was wondering if this is rare, etc? Here are some photos so enjoy :thumbsup:

P7280239.jpg

P7280242.jpg

craig_pickrall

You are correct in your ID. If you use the search feature and enter Mountain Ruck you will get several hits. There are many threads on these packs. They are not especially rare and still sell in the $50 range in good condition. There are several variations of the pack. You are also missing the rifle retaining strap which is also pretty common. I'm not one of the name researchers here but we do have several. They may be able to do something with that name and number.

With all the good discussions and pics on this Forum that Craig mentioned, I guess this is a redundancy, but a good link nonetheless:

http://www.mountaintroops.us/history_rucksack.html

Good link!! Now I see how everything attatched to the pack! Now I just need to keep an eye out for a belly band and rifle strap to complete the pack.