.45 Ball Pistol Cartridges

US82Bravo

post-8013-1280351535.jpg

The box is approximately 5" long, 1" wide, 1 1/4" tall. No date on it anywhere.

Larry

Hello, I have already seen the ammunition box, it would be a box of ammunition for colt 1911 relief, which was in a vest rescue pilots of planes and bombers during World War II.

So ammo box survival

Not for the Air Corp C-1 emergency vest. The vest had .45 shot shell for use in the 1911 or 1911 a1 automatic. This is ball ammo for a revolver. Each half moon clip held 3 rounds....7 x 3 = 20 ....sounds about right for government math.

Steve T

I have a similar box, FA Cartridge Lot No. 311, containing 20 rounds with a FA 26 headstamp. My box does not contain the seven revoler clips, which as previously noted, would be for the 1917 revolver. Since the 1917 revolver was too large to be carried by air crewman (they usually carried a .38 or a 1911), I would think that this box was just a standard loading for either the 1911 or 1917. If you had a 1911 you just threw away the clips. It is a very nice box in great condition. By the way, the B 503 in the lower left hand corner of the box under Franford Arsenal is the Drawing Number. Twenty round boxes were loaded until the first part of WW2 when the government switched to the 50 round box.

I looked at buying a box exactly like this two months ago and one corner was open, so I removed a round to look it over. It was 32 dated. I believe your box of ammo to be "Tween the wars" ammo.