Huge Wooden Toy Cannon!

siege1863

I almost passed on this toy cannon when I read the auction heading. It was described as wood and metal. Knowing that wartime restrictions on metal limited the use in toys, I thought the listing might be for a pre-war or post-war piece. However, when I actually viewed the photos, I immediately recognized it as wartime vintage. The ratchet noise-maker is one giveaway.

The metal used for the barrel is merely some sort of old tin container recycled for this use. The wheels resemble old movie film reels, but they must have been something else that was available to the manufacturer. Interestingly, the assembly appears to incorporate scraps of furniture. At any rate, I have not seen a toy cannon like this before. It was only after I had hurriedly hit the "buy-it now" button and paid for it that I more closely read the description. This great toy measures right at 18" long! Not bad for $19.99!

post-211-1280088616.jpg

General Apathy
I almost passed on this toy cannon when I read the auction heading. It was described as wood and metal. Knowing that wartime restrictions on metal limited the use in toys, I thought the listing might be for a pre-war or post-war piece. However, when I actually viewed the photos, I immediately recognized it as wartime vintage. The ratchet noise-maker is one giveaway.

The metal used for the barrel is merely some sort of old tin container recycled for this use. The wheels resemble old movie film reels, but they must have been something else that was available to the manufacturer. Interestingly, the assembly appears to incorporate scraps of furniture. At any rate, I have not seen a toy cannon like this before. It was only after I had hurriedly hit the "buy-it now" button and paid for it that I more closely read the description. This great toy measures right at 18" long! Not bad for $19.99!

Hi Siege, love it, if it had been at a show here I certainly would have bought it willingly at that price. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Manchu Warrior

I don't buy many toys but I would have to say that I might have been tempted on this one. That is one awesome toy congrats on your purchase.

post-211-1280088616.jpg

I would say this is not a commercial made toy, but made by a father for his son due to the apparent recycled parts.

Ray

I would say this is not a commercial made toy, but made by a father for his son due to the apparent recycled parts.

Ray

I have more than one such toy in my collection that used "seconds" as parts. This was done as a cost-saving measure and due to the availibility of some materials. It might be the maufacturer originally made furniture but began producing toys due to a drop in sales or restrictions on metal parts (springs, screws, nails, tacks, glues, paints, varnishes, etc.), certain woods, and fabrics. The evenly sprayed OD green paint and stenciled letters and stars do not suggest a garage project.

• 5 weeks later...