War and Peace, 2010, Beltring, England.

Sabrejet

Greetings Ian (SABREJET)

I enjoy your postings. I was in Normandy last summer (09) and wish I could have met European collectors. I would like to visit Europe again. Especially the BARTON-Stacey area near Stonehenge. My Dad's 743rd Tank Battalion trained there. Would be great to meet you.

Again, I enjoy all your posts and thanks for sharing across the pond with US.

Al

tankerman

Hi there Al! Thank you for those kind words. If you ever find your way back here to "Blighty" feel free to drop me a PM. Our American buddies are always welcome here!

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi there Al! Thank you for those kind words. If you ever find your way back here to "Blighty" feel free to drop me a PM. Our American buddies are always welcome here!

Ian :thumbsup:

Evening Ian;

Please let me know when it is next year. With any luck and GOD's grace I will schedule a vacation at that time. Could use a little help with a listing of places to stay, where to fly into (London?) etc. That would so cool for an old guy to enjoy. Al "tankerman"

Evening Ian;

Please let me know when it is next year. With any luck and GOD's grace I will schedule a vacation at that time. Could use a little help with a listing of places to stay, where to fly into (London?) etc. That would so cool for an old guy to enjoy. Al "tankerman"

Hello Al. I'll PM you.

Ian ;)

Just great stuff!!!!!

Is anyone on here active in the UK military vehicle circles? I ask because I grew up with a 1943 GPW that we sold to a fellow in the UK back in 1995 or 1996. I visited it once in 1998 and he was in process of doing a ground up restoration, transitioning it from Navy grey (what it was originally) to olive green. Not sure if he kept the Navy numbers or not. I would love to see what it looks like 12 years later. I don't know if that helps any, but in case anyone knows of a Jeep with that story...it's a small world...

Dave

Look at all those tyres! The guy who had the restored " Dragon Wagon" at Beltring had to scour Europe for no less than 19 of them...and then ship them back to the UK!!

Ian :w00t:

Notice how many of these troops wear the then-obsolescent M1941 field jacket. I would guess it was because the older jackets were passed out as "free issue", as work clothing, hence it did not matter if they got very dirty, stained and/or ripped.

Johan Willaert

OK, so here's another Dragon Wagon picture from my collection....

Picture was taken at Hofgeismar, Germany in July 1945.
The markings on the M26 are ASCZ 45? ORD EVAC, which means that the vehicle belonged to an Ordnance Evacuation Company attached to the Advance Section of the Communication Zone... The company number's most likely the 456th, but could be the 455th...
Vehicle carries the nickname LITTLE JOE above the windscreen...

Note that the Harley is not a WLA, but a WLC model with Royal Air Force markings...
Rider has DB boots and HBT trousers though, so he's most likely a GI...
Picture came from the effects of a GI of the 307th Field Artillery/78ID

Enjoy,

Johan

post-92-0-85237000-1399557058.jpg