Civil Defense Helmet

squiz

Hey- Picked this up from a vet recently with little explanation of where it came from- I am interested in putting a date on it. I know that it is CD and have seem some posts in this forum about these types of helmets. It is in good shape. Can anyone tell me what time period it may have come from?

post-13122-1279917202.jpg

post-13122-1279917224.jpg

post-13122-1279917233.jpg

Rakkasan187

I am going to say World War Two period. My grandfather was an Air Raid Warden in Maine and the helmet that you have pictured is exactly the same as his, to include the decal. That is a nice example...

Leigh...

It's WWII but was also used during Korea. The Civil Defense didn't have quite as much money as the Army and Navy so they continued to use many of the same items they had from World War II during the Korean War.

Very nice Wardens helmet. Not much is known about CD helmet manufacture, but I agree with Rakkasan that it is from the WWII (1941-45) time period. It is my guess these helmets were first manufactured in 42 or 43. I have not seen any items relating to the air wardens after the switch to the Federal Civil Defense Administration (FCDA) in the 1950's. The unmarked high domed steel helmets saw service with Civil Defense personnel throughout its existence, although hard boiled plastic "hard hat" helmets seemed to become the replacement over the steel in the 1950's and later.

Very nice Wardens helmet. Not much is known about CD helmet manufacture, but I agree with Rakkasan that it is from the WWII (1941-45) time period. It is my guess these helmets were first manufactured in 42 or 43. I have not seen any items relating to the air wardens after the switch to the Federal Civil Defense Administration (FCDA) in the 1950's. The unmarked high domed steel helmets saw service with Civil Defense personnel throughout its existence, although hard boiled plastic "hard hat" helmets seemed to become the replacement over the steel in the 1950's and later.

Would there have been certain areas of the country that would have had air raid wardens? Along the coasts perhaps? I appreciate the dating of the helmet- this will help me when I use it in my high school class.

Air Wardens could be found all over the United States. Some areas received more funding and and attention (such as larger cities and places hosting factories.) The Air Raid Warden service was probably the largest group of Civil Defense volunteers, as the threat of air attack was on many minds, especially after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Edward,

The plastic "hard hat" you refer to is different than the helmet liner often times painted white for CD personnel? I have a CD Police helmet from WWII I believe that is just a typical M1 helmet liner painted white with all original leather sweatband.

"Edward,

The plastic "hard hat" you refer to is different than the helmet liner often times painted white for CD personnel? I have a CD Police helmet from WWII I believe that is just a typical M1 helmet liner painted white with all original leather sweatband."

Yes, CD personnel did make use of M1 liners and other surplus such as m1917 Kelly helmets, but they also starting using hard boiled plastic/fiberglass helmets around the 1950's.

Here is a CD comm "hardhat" from the Michigan civil defense website.

post-11627-1280023127.jpg

The website can be found here http://www.michigancivildefense.com/id6.html

It gives a pretty good pictorial record of CD helmets in one location, including other fiberglass/plastic helmets.

Always seems like new variants of CD helmets are popping up, as there never was a set guideline for standardization of helmets.