1930's Hollywood-made custom USMC wings for film

rustywings

This bullion pilot wing was made in 1934 and worn by actor James Cagney in the movie "Devil Dogs Of The Air." Cagney plays a hot-dogging gypsy stunt pilot who joins the "United States Marine Flying Corps" but refuses to abide by the rules of the Corps until highly respected and seasoned veteran aviator Pat O'Brien knocks him down a few pegs. Warner Brothers Studio really went "Hollywood" when they designed powder-blue tunics with massive U.S. Army style bullion wings to be worn by Marine Corps Flying Cadets in this movie. Here's the oversize wing and a period tint photo of James Cagney.

IMG_1461_crop.jpg

The movie "Devil Dogs Of The Air" was originally released in February, 1935, and received a modest response from the viewing public. It was re-released in 1941 and was a big hit in the United States and England. Here's a closer image of the wings depicted on James Cagney wild USMC cadet flying uniform.

IMG_1454_crop.jpg

Even though these wings are not authentic military issue, they do make for an interesting study on U.S. made bullion constructed wings from 1934.

IMG_1460_crop.jpg

In this scene from the movie with actress Margaret Lindsay and flight instructor Pat O'Brien, James Cagney is wingless.

cagney498_1_.jpg

This original foreign made "Devil Dogs Of The Air" movie poster is currently listed on ebay for $3,080.00. (See ebay #140399892119).

15154_1_.jpg

This original foreign made "Devil Dogs Of The Air" movie poster is currently listed on ebay for $3,080.00. (See ebay #140399892119).

I have seen these wings in person and they are stunning. Very nice as always.

Patrick

I've received a couple of emails asking about the availability of the movie posters. None of the posters illustrated on this thread are mine. I just pulled the images off the internet for reference. I can't imagine paying three grand for a 1935 movie poster...but then again, I could certainly rationalize spending the same on some nice early aviator badges!

Russ

Great thread Russ ~ a very interesting piece from Hollywood. Where in the world did you come across these? I wonder how much memorabilia is left in movie prop houses? Just think of the flight jackets and uniforms that may be sitting around ~ hmmm :think: Dave

Thank you for your kind sentiments regarding this movie production-made wing. I picked up the old color-tint photo and bullion wing together about twelve years ago at a militaria show near Los Angeles. I recall the dealer worked for a Hollywood production company and had the inside track when old studio storage lots came up for sale or auction. According to the dealer, it was common practice for the costume department to remove the buttons and insignia, then recycle the tunics and uniforms into future productions. Like Dave suggested, I'm sure there's still lots of old war movie momentos still sitting in storage just waiting to be discovered.

Russ

tarheelyankee

Nice lokking wings. Thanks for posting. James Cagney has always been one of my top 3 movie actors of all time, along with John Wayne and Clark Gable. :thumbsup: Tarheelyankee