novice question here. ERDL or woodland?

R Michael

Hello all I hate to say I bought all this from a fellow that came into the store last Saturday for a case of beer. I dont know much about these and I thought I would take a chance. I figure these may bee woodland and I looked AT some examples here on the forum and I cant decide for sure about these. 2 of the shirts are rip stop and that is as far as my knowledge goes. So please no laughs if I paid too much for oridinary uniforms. lol

thanks, Mike

post-1387-1279771194.jpg

post-1387-1279771206.jpg

East ways to tell if it's ERDL:

slant pockets on the shirt -

zipper fly on the pants -

white labels -

Between ERDL and Woodland these was something called RDF Camo: it looks like ERDL but does not have the slant pockets and has button flies.

Misanthropic_Gods

Form the pictures, it looks like these are Woodland.

ERDL is quite distinctive from M81 Woodland if you know what to look for in the cut and colors.

Lime Green ERDL (Lowland)

erdl-jacket.jpg

Brown ERDL (Highland)

VN_ERDL_brown.jpg

M81 Woodland

usa_woodland_hot_front.jpg

If you did overpay for these, its no biggie. Its not like you are out $400, life is a learning experience man

Hello all I hate to say I bought all this from a fellow that came into the store last Saturday for a case of beer. I dont know much about these and I thought I would take a chance. I figure these may bee woodland and I looked AT some examples here on the forum and I cant decide for sure about these. 2 of the shirts are rip stop and that is as far as my knowledge goes. So please no laughs if I paid too much for oridinary uniforms. lol

thanks, Mike

You have Battle Dress Uniform coats printed in the woodland camouflage pattern. The initial temperate version in Nylon/Cotton twill entered service in 1981, the ripstop cotton version in 1988. The BDU's were never printed in any of the ERDL patterns used for the Tropical Combat Uniform or Hot Weather Camouflage Uniform. However, the Woodland camouflage pattern is a modification of the ERDL pattern, so there is some similarity, but the cut of the clothing itself is substantially different.

And just so there is no confusion "M81" or any other M-number in reference to modern US uniforms is collector jargon that has no basis in anything official.