Odd USN pilot wings - Meyer Metal

Adam Lewis

Here's a set I've had for a while but have not been able to find anything on them. They're 2 3/4" wide with a clear protective coating on the front. The style is pre-WW2.

The back has raised Meyer Shield but in a mirror image?! The Meyer Metal is also raised and looks normal. The pin opens only 90 degrees and the roll catch lock works OK.

I'm grateful for any and all comments . Thanks.

Adam Lewis

post-2607-1279665250.jpg

That mirror image Meyer mark is not uncommon. I have pilot and navigator wings with the reverse hallmark, and I have seen it on common collar insignia. No explanation for it, but it's generally considered to be indicative of World War 2 era pieces.

This has been discussed in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...04&hl=meyer

That mirror image Meyer mark is not uncommon. I have pilot and navigator wings with the reverse hallmark, and I have seen it on common collar insignia. No explanation for it, but it's generally considered to be indicative of World War 2 era pieces.

This has been discussed in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...04&hl=meyer

Nice wing.

I believe (but may be wrong) that the meyer metal wings are rather rare and are typically associated with a pre-WW2 vintage. Very nice.

Patrick

Hi,

I like these wings and have managed to pick up a couple of pairs myself. I know another set sold recently on eBay for well over US$200. They do not turn up ofter though.

I read Adam's statement whereby the markings on his example are raised. On my two examples they are both stamped. To reinforce that they are stamped, the markings are located differently on both badges, something that can not happen for raised markings which are actually formed into the die (unless a maker used more than 1 die for the same type of badge).

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1279693205.jpg

Great looking wings.

Yes the Meyer Metal marking is pre-war.

I have a type 2, Cavalry collar disk in my cav collection that has the "mirror" Meyer mark, plus the Meyer Metal mark.

As type 2 discs started being replaced by type 3 in 1937, the Meyer Metal mark must be pre-war, in my opinion.

Cheers,

John

Hello Adam,

Your wing is a beautiful period original example of a Pre-WW2 Navy Pilot wing :thumbsup: A very nice example with a desireable hallmark as well. Dave

All,

Wow, thanks for the great responses. It's nice to know the consensus is they're good and worthy of being in a collection.

I guess it's time to pull this out of the ???? drawer and mount it with the other USN wings!

Adam

All,

Wow, thanks for the great responses. It's nice to know the consensus is they're good and worthy of being in a collection.

I guess it's time to pull this out of the ???? drawer and mount it with the other USN wings!

Adam

Added the Meyer wings to my 11x14 shadow box. The other 7 pilot wings include a pre-war Robbins, 2 marked sterling (LGB and Meyer), H-H marked 1/40 10K RGP, one with no markings (lower left), a Vanguard and a solid gold 10K LGB piece.

Thanks again for all the useful comments.

Adam

post-2607-1279833341.jpg

Added the Meyer wings to my 11x14 shadow box. The other 7 pilot wings include a pre-war Robbins, 2 marked sterling (LGB and Meyer), H-H marked 1/40 10K RGP, one with no markings (lower left), a Vanguard and a solid gold 10K LGB piece.

Thanks again for all the useful comments.

Adam

OOPS! The lower RIGHT pilot wing has no markings on the back.

Adam

Wow! Nice collection of Naval Aviator wings Adam. It's evident you have an advanced eye for quality pieces. Thanks for posting.

Russ

Striking display Adam.

According to Meyer literature I have " 'Meyer Metal' a special alloy, some 18KT color throughout its thickness, no gold plating, not injured by polishing."

I have a large sub badge marked Meyer Metal. I can't really explain it but the color is almost a pink gold; I have the small and large sizes of this pattern badge and both have the same caste to them. It's noticeable when the badges are together with others of yellow gold. Both wings seemed to have plating, despite the factory description.

My experience is that all Meyer Metal badges are hard to find.