Airborne Demolition Bags

m14msgt

There are two repro Abn. Demo bags on the market. One with buckles and the other with LTD fasteners. I have seen both in De Trez' books. Which is more authentic for an impression?

There are two repro Abn. Demo bags on the market. One with buckles and the other with LTD fasteners. I have seen both in De Trez' books. Which is more authentic for an impression?

I would try to find pictures of the bags... I've never seen the bag with the LTD snaps, but have seen the bag with the ties. I am by no means an expert but common sense tells me the tie bag would be the more issued bag for actual demo packs due to the fact since it would be destroyed with the blast, it was constructed using the least amount of materials possible. Why waste LTD snaps on a bag you were going to blow up anyway? If I'm not mistaken the bags with the snaps were used to carry the associated blasting items such as the blasting machine, tape, crimping pliers, caps, sealing compound and the like.I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Just my two cents...

Wayne

I would try to find pictures of the bags... I've never seen the bag with the LTD snaps, but have seen the bag with the ties. I am by no means an expert but common sense tells me the tie bag would be the more issued bag for actual demo packs due to the fact since it would be destroyed with the blast, it was constructed using the least amount of materials possible. Why waste LTD snaps on a bag you were going to blow up anyway? If I'm not mistaken the bags with the snaps were used to carry the associated blasting items such as the blasting machine, tape, crimping pliers, caps, sealing compound and the like.I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Just my two cents...

Wayne

i think i confused you...the bags with the ties are satchel charge bags which held the 8 blocks of Tetrytol (chain charge). I am talking about the bags that held the individual demo supplies. In De Trez' "Warriors" book, there's a pic of a mannequin dressed as a 326th engineer with the LTD bag, and on page 116 of At a Point of No Return, there are two buckle-type bags, one larger to hold a slew of TNT blocks.

i think i confused you...the bags with the ties are satchel charge bags which held the 8 blocks of Tetrytol (chain charge). I am talking about the bags that held the individual demo supplies. In De Trez' "Warriors" book, there's a pic of a mannequin dressed as a 326th engineer with the LTD bag, and on page 116 of At a Point of No Return, there are two buckle-type bags, one larger to hold a slew of TNT blocks.

Ahhhh Got ya...

A search for WWII Airborne demo bags came up with these that I think fit your descriptions...

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/damobaga1.JPG

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view...;sigb=13aik7heq

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view...;sigb=13aik7heq

These were found doing a search through Yahoo for "WWII Airborne Demolitions"

A search for "WWII US DEMOLITIONS MANUALS" found this site... which sells old US Manuals...

http://www.military-info.com/MPHOTO/P021b.htm

they have several dates to choose from... The Manuals you are looking for:

FM 5-25 Engineer Field Manual—Explosives and Demolitions (June 1940); 145 pages, 95 illus. Price 15.00 {Item No.1503}

FM 5-25 Engineer Field Manual—Explosives and Demolitions (1941); 143 pages, 94 illus. Price 15.00 {Item No.1504}

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions (1944); 122+ pages, 87+ illus. Price 15.00 {Item No.1505}

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions (May 1945); 147 pages, illus. Price 15.00 {Item No.1506}

I hope this helps... or at least sets you in the right direction!

Wayne

I love research!!!! Even when it reveals nothing, or very little at best, its the act of searching for answers that makes me happy. If I can help, so much the better!!!!!

Wayne

• 1 year later...
Those are the late type bags...

seems I´ve chosen the wrong terms. I meant this is the early type of the 2nd pattern. later types had different straps on the flap. Kick me if I´m wrong.

Those are the late type bags...

Agreed... Looks like the transitional OD7 bad with OD3 edge tapes... This is the type of bag made by WWII Impressions. I have one... they are of good quality. Usually the chain charges would be slipped into the tie type bag as a demilition or "satchel charge". I believe this type of bag was more commonly used to carry the blasting machine and other supplies while larger bags, and the M1 ammo bag and M2 ammo vest were often used to carry the demo charges and TNT blocks.

Wayne

in WWII was there a pattern with ear flaps like the VN era demo bags had?

See pictures: letf / bottom WWII, rigth / top VN era

post-5069-1319006212.jpg

post-5069-1319006251.jpg