1960's dated T-10 Parachute Assembly

larry030767

larry030767

Picked this up at the Atlanta Show last weekend. The canopy is marked with Switlick Co's datum and the risers are dated 1965. Unfortunately the deployment bag-static line assembly's a later generation and dated 1998. The Aviator's kit bag is also dated 1965. I'm not a rigger so have stuffed the rig in the pack tray as best I can until a period deployment bag can be found.

post-104-1279651576.jpg

larry030767
Picked this up at the Atlanta Show last weekend. The canopy is marked with Switlick Co's datum and the risers are dated 1965. Unfortunately the deployment bag-static line assembly's a later generation and dated 1998. The Aviator's kit bag is also dated 1965. I'm not a rigger so have stuffed the rig in the pack tray as best I can until a period deployment bag can be found.

next pic

post-104-1279651657.jpg

• 1 year later...
I'm a military Parachute Rigger. Would you like some help inspecting and repacking your T-10?

You betcha Airborne! In what part of the world is home base.

• 1 year later...

Ah, the old Dial of Death!

We were jumping with that harness at FT Bragg as late as 1982 with the T-10. The MC1-1 canopies all had the newer harnesses, but the T-10s were still the single point release harnesses.

Lots of macabre jokes about that harness, but it was easy to get out of!

Ah, the old Dial of Death!

We were jumping with that harness at FT Bragg as late as 1982 with the T-10. The MC1-1 canopies all had the newer harnesses, but the T-10s were still the single point release harnesses.

Lots of macabre jokes about that harness, but it was easy to get out of!

Yep, but not very maint friendly. It had to be completely disassembled, cleaned, regreased and put back together after every open sea jump. Believe it or not it was very easy to reassemble the box so that the wrong release point that wasn't supposed to release, upper left might end up being upper right. I sure was glad to see the new hardware phase in.

Yep, but not very maint friendly. It had to be completely disassembled, cleaned, regreased and put back together after every open sea jump. Believe it or not it was very easy to reassemble the box so that the wrong release point that wasn't supposed to release, upper left might end up being upper right. I sure was glad to see the new hardware phase in.

Didja ever use riser grease after a water Jump? Howbout canopy lights for a night jump? :)

riflegreen297

Ahh, the good old send the new Cherry to company supply to sign for some canopy lights for the night jump. That was better than being sent to ask the 1SG for the keys to Area J or asking about the PRC- E8. Larry 1968, nice dial-a-death rig. I have been looking for one myself. If you find a correct period D-bag, risers and static line and want to move the fill in let me know. I have a modern harness I could use those on.

Nice rig, I have a simliar one...with the packing book from the 19th SFG....if you want a look see, here it is...

http://www.usmilitar...c=41250&hl=19th

Packing them isn't all that difficult, just takes some patience, and some space, and some improvised packing tools....

I looked at the other thread and noticed what looked like a homemade packing hook. I don't know if you know it but you can do the same job with plain old gutted parachute cord, just don't burn the ends. I always carried extra cord to repack the MT~1X in the field but the only thing extra you would need to field pack is #80 cotton cord....and a D~bag of course.

The anti~inversion net made so much difference that I cannot remember any malfunctions attributed to Mae Wests or a line over burning the canopy. I had only one on a night jump with a complete cigarette roll that lasted until I got my reserve out at which time the main opened. I can only surmise that the atmospheric conditions that night caused a sort of "static cling" with the nylon folds that prevented the canopy from opening until the open reserve changed the air pressure in the air channel.

If any of these old rigs are for sale I'm very interested as long as they will pass a punch test.