Bronze Star conversation

23engineers

23engineers

last night in went to see my uncle that had fought in Korea. we discussed his service and looked at his medals and patches and so on. he did give me some items and also wanted to give me his Bronze Star that he received. As much as I wanted to take it, I just could not. He has four children that are interested in these things but with me being the family historian, he knew that I would take care of the items.

I feel really weird about his offer. I REALLY wanted it but I declined. I told him that I was VERY proud that he would do this but I just couldn't.

Has anybody else been in this situation?

He did give me his combat servive badge. he said of all the items, THIS is what he was most proud of.

Joe

Joe,

I've not been in that situation, but you did the right thing.

Accepting his Medals and the like, would only cause a bone of contention between you and your cousins.

After his passing, that would want them back, and who knows what problems that may cause.

The best thing your uncle can do, would be to express in his will that if any of his children do not want to

care for any of these items, that be passed along to you.

This may save a lot of heartache.

Besides, you already have what HE treasures most............. his combat service badge.

PS- Be sure and thank him for his service from all of us on the Forum. :thumbsup:

I'm leaning the opposite direction from Jack's Son's post. Your uncle CLEARLY wanted you to have the medal. You have some of his other things. You should try to keep them together. You say that your cousins are interested in these items, but to what degree? Perhaps one of them wants it so they can wear it on their jean jacket or one of them want's it because they think it is worth $20. Your uncle wanted YOU to have the medal for a reason. He knows that you are going to enjoy it and take good care of it. Perhaps he isn't convinced that the medal is going to command that level of respect from his kids.

What you need to do is go back and ask if you can hold it with his other items. If one of the cousins grows up and decides they need it, then great; you can cross that bridge when you come to it. What could happen is your uncle passes away unexpectedly and in their grief, the family throws the medal away because it was offered to their cousin and he didn't want it, so they don't know of anyone else who would have cared to own it. Your ownership could have also been a way for your uncle to have to decide which one of his kids deserves to end up with the medal.

Go back and tell your uncle that you'd like to put the medal with his other insignia and that you will care for his items and display them proudly. Then you can tell him that if he ever wants the medal back, that you will be happy to return his property to him.

I honestly believe that if you don't do this, that you will end up regretting it for a long time.

My two cents,

Allan

His things should be kept together and what would be wrong is to take only part of it. I'd accept his offer with the understanding that if a cousin does come calling for it some day that you will give it to them (and even then I would consult with the other cousins to be sure they concur on who should be trustee of these items and that the one who requests them will hold on to them).

BILL THE PATCH

what a pickle of a dilema, my kids are already saying i get dad's patches. but not for collecting for the value that's why i have mixed feelings about who gets them. my two youngest kids might get into the hobby i'll have to wait and see. there still young, my two oldest 17 and 21 could'nt give a rats rump about it. but whoever turns out to be the historian or military buff gets the collection. also of all my fathers medals and 11th abn stuff he had, the most proudest thing was his cib. i'm wondering if, well in my fathers case, if he thought he would measure up when the time came for combat, then after the 90 days you got the cib ( correct me if 90 days is wrong) i guess maybe they thought hey i did my 90days i'm a combat vet and i stuck it out. that's there red badge of courage they passed the test. just my thoughts. i've heard alot of vets say there cib was there proudest badge. did anyone else have that thought?

23engineers

I am not sure what to do. All his kids are adults and I get along well with all of them. He did not give me all of his items. I did mention his Combat Service Badge but he had two. I got one and he kept the other. I got his collar items (not sure exactly what they are called) and his name tag. the majority of the items he kept.

I TRUELY do believe that his children will charish the other items and honor them for what they represent.

I feel that I made the right decision.

Joe

23engineers

I am not sure what to do. All his kids are adults and I get along well with all of them. He did not give me all of his items. I did mention his Combat Service Badge but he had two. I got one and he kept the other. I got his collar items (not sure exactly what they are called) and his name tag. the majority of the items he kept.

I TRUELY do believe that his children will charish the other items and honor them for what they represent.

Joe

Joe

Joe,

If you feel that you made the right decision, then it is the right decision. Don't look back or question your decision. You were asking for a response and I gave you the one that I think was the right one. Of course, none of us were there when the conversation took place.

As an aside- I ASSUME that your uncle's "Combat Service Badge" is actually a "Comabt INFANTRY Badge?" :think: I am not aware of a Combat Service Badge, though there were unofficial Combat Artillery, Armor and Engineer badges, but they are rather uncommon.

Allan

23engineers

As an aside- I ASSUME that your uncle's "Combat Service Badge" is actually a "Comabt INFANTRY Badge?" I am not aware of a Combat Service Badge, though there were unofficial Combat Artillery, Armor and Engineer badges, but they are rather uncommon.

I believe the you are correct. Combat Infantry Badge. (blue badge with a rifle and a sort of crest behind it)

Thank you I am always learning.