99th Infantry "Battle Baies or Checkerboard" Division

2ad82recon

Guys can anyone shed any light on good websites relating to the 99ths participation in the "Bulge"...from its positions on the heights of Bullingen and its subsequent fighting retreat and blocking actions back to Elsenborn.....in particular the 393rd Infantry.

Timescale 16th to 20th December 1944 please....

I have checked some of the major "google search" ones..just casting the net to see if anyone has any detailed info on this division.

Need to plan a route and cover as many villages as possible....including some then and now shots.....especially the famous Bullingen crossroads (Germans removing boots picture) and travelling through the twin villages of Krinkelt/Rocherath.

Its a work in progress for a potential upcoming December trip this year.

Lets see where this goes.

Regards

Lloyd

Guys can anyone shed any light on good websites relating to the 99ths participation in the "Bulge"...from its positions on the heights of Bullingen and its subsequent fighting retreat and blocking actions back to Elsenborn.....in particular the 393rd Infantry.

Timescale 16th to 20th December 1944 please....

I have checked some of the major "google search" ones..just casting the net to see if anyone has any detailed info on this division.

Need to plan a route and cover as many villages as possible....including some then and now shots.....especially the famous Bullingen crossroads (Germans removing boots picture) and travelling through the twin villages of Krinkelt/Rocherath.

Its a work in progress for a potential upcoming December trip this year.

Lets see where this goes.

Regards

Lloyd

If you haven't already got these 2 books I would strongly suggest you obtain them..

Company Commander by Charles b Macdonald

99th Division BATTLE BABIES by Major Gen. Walter E. Lauer.....

Everything you need to know is in there, these are the books I have used for over 30 yrs of visiting this area...... good reading and full of info.

Plenty of time to research and obtain these books if trip is in December......

Although you might find yourself hampered by the weather at that time of year........

Robswashashore
Although you might find yourself hampered by the weather at that time of year........

as did a couple of armies in 1944...

Although you might find yourself hampered by the weather at that time of year........!!!!!

Escht..thats the idea ;) .....if you are not familiar with our unit we are the down and dirty hardcore living historians that wat it as authentic as possible unlike other re enactment groups that think a will do is close enough and only re enact when its warm.

We have done Bastogne and other areas of the bulge many times as various units....away from the "norm" and its about time the Northern Shoulder got some recognition.

Regards

Lloyd

If you haven't already got these 2 books I would strongly suggest you obtain them..

Company Commander by Charles b Macdonald

99th Division BATTLE BABIES by Major Gen. Walter E. Lauer.....

Everything you need to know is in there, these are the books I have used for over 30 yrs of visiting this area...... good reading and full of info.

Plenty of time to research and obtain these books if trip is in December......

My late uncle served with the 99th at the bulge and into Germany, and my middle brother retired from the 458th Engineers 99th ARCOM. The 99th was based in Western Pa,West Virginia, Maryland and Eastern Ohio until resently when it was mved to New Jersey.I suggest contacting the 99th at

http://www.usar.army.mil/arweb/organizatio...es/default.aspx or google Soldiers and Sailors in Pittsburgh Pa. Hope this helps

Sir

My Dad (who is still with us) was the Assistant Battalion Surgeon for 2nd Battalion, 393rd. He has vivid memories of withdrawing from the attack with the 2nd Division which began @ 14 December, 1944. I have some notes from a speech as well as his Silver Star Citation which has some general descriptions of locations (i.e. 3 and 1/2 miles NE of Krinkelt). I can scan and email if you like.

V/R

Bill

Gentlemen i am honoured....any help would be tremendous as we want to get this totally correct.

Please email me at [email protected]

and i can garuntee we will do the "Battle Babies" very very proud

Regards

Lloyd

OK for those of you who have been following this thread....with the COs permission we will officially lauch this event as a GO !.....commemerating the 99ths valiant stand and retreat and blocking actions in the Bulges northern shoulder.....we welcome ANYBODY from ANY UNIT who can meet the uniform requirements (TBC) and can hack it "hardcore" in the field.

Routes...times to be announced but we can garuntee it wont be no ski chalets with warm beds....and soft comfy pillows....(YES even the officers have got to rough it.

Dates out...Wednesday 15th December...and Return Sunday am 19th December to the UK.

Please can we get a list of all those interested in going so we can get squad lists and assignments together.

Full details to follow

Thanks all

Regards

Lloyd