Corpsmancollector

Dyed black fatigues SOG style

Here is a set of dyed black, ripstop fatigues. I bought this set of eBay some time ago, as an addition to the SOG uniform I'm putting together. I know that Ed Wolcoff and Frank Greco wore dyed black fatigues at one point or another and I thought these would be good for impression somewhere down the line. Now, having looked much closer at them, I'd like to hear the opinions of fellow forum members who are more experienced in Vietnam militaria, than I.

The jacket and trousers are both original and have a DSA - 68 contract date. They both retain their labels inside (I know SOG troopers wore sterile uniforms) the jacket is a medium-reg and the trousers are small-reg. They both show heavy wear in particular areas; knees (especially) elbows, back and sleeves. On the jacket. there are numerous white paint stains and what looks like a cigarette burn. All buttons are present and the thread has been dyed black, where as the labels have gone a blue/purple colour as shown.

I'll let the pictures do the talking for themselves, but having examined these closer the last few days, I'm beginning to think that they are actually combat worn items...Maybe not SOG, but another SOF unit? I haven't collected Vietnam era militaria for as long as I've collected WWII and I know it doesn't count for much, but these 'feel' good. I've handled enough original militaria to know the feel and smell of an item, and these have definitely got it. The wear is fairly consistant overall and they stink to high heaven of dirt and muck. The seller on eBay claimed that these came from a guy who was in Special Forces, but stupid me didn't ask who and when he served. We're always saying buy the item and not the story and that's what I did. But I may trawl through my feedback and see if I can contact the seller.

Don't hold back on these guys, if they're no good it's no worries, but I'd like to hear you opinions

post-5339-1279566893.jpg

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Jacket chest pockets (the jacket looks cleaner in the photos...)

post-5339-1279567013.jpg

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

Rear pockets of jacket, showing paint stain an cigarette burn:

post-5339-1279567073.jpg

Details of paint stains and wear:

post-5339-1279567117.jpg

Detail of label in the neck of jacket:

post-5339-1279567161.jpg

More details of jacket pockets:

post-5339-1279567190.jpg

The rear of the jacket, the shoulder areas show substantial wear and take on a green-ish/brown hue:

post-5339-1279567223.jpg

Detail of label on inside of jacket:

post-5339-1279567276.jpg

Details of jacket buttons:

post-5339-1279567305.jpg

Detail of wear on trouser legs. The spots on the right hand photo are rain spots, they are not actual on the trousers. Both legs show a brown/red dirt on the knees

post-5339-1279567352.jpg

Trousers:

post-5339-1279567443.jpg

Details of trouser cargo pocket:

post-5339-1279567473.jpg

Left hand pocket of trousers, the stitching has come un-done at the seam:

post-5339-1279567506.jpg

Rear of trousers, straps have been cut short:

post-5339-1279567546.jpg

Rear if trousers:

post-5339-1279567584.jpg

Detail of label in trousers:

post-5339-1279567614.jpg

Both leg ties are present:

post-5339-1279567642.jpg

post-5339-1279567676.jpg

A comparison of the jacket and trousers. The jacket holds a slightly stronger colour, but in hand there isn't much difference:

post-5339-1279567705.jpg

That's it for now guys!

Enjoy.

Delta operators initially wore black fatigues when the unit was activated. I can't remember if they were dyed or as issued though.

***WANTED: MINT UNISSUED USMC DEPOT WEB GEAR AND A SIZE 38 P42 CAMO JACKET***

I have a pair of the dyed jungle pants that came from a Nam era Recon Marine. They are TRASHED though. Numerous repairs and holes. I really like youe dyed set. :thumbsup:

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I have a pair of the dyed jungle pants that came from a Nam era Recon Marine. They are TRASHED though. Numerous repairs and holes. I really like youe dyed set. :thumbsup:

Thanks Arch, I was hoping you'd contribute. The set has definitely got that 'been there' look and feel to them, and they smell very musty. I wish I could find out a bit more about where they came from!

Are the pants in your collection, similar to those above?

Delta operators initially wore black fatigues when the unit was activated. I can't remember if they were dyed or as issued though.

I've heard that Marc, so would that have been in the late 70s? :think:

For what it's worth, years ago I found a set of black-dyed jungle fatigue trousers in a thrift store. They look very much like yours, and also have the labels intact.

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.