WW2 Navy Choir Patch?

Here's one that I've never seen before... A WW2 US Navy "Choir" patch...does anyone know what this patch is from or what it's for? The pics are off a current eBay auction...an interesting group with the fellow wearing the same Choir patch as on the uniform. Any thoughts?

Dave

NavyChoirPatch.jpg

NavyChoirPatch2.jpg

I wonder if this was an early version of the "Sea Chanters"?

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/seachanters.shtml

History of them shows they started in 1956....

Makes some sense though.

The photo shows a Seaman SEcond Class which went away in'48. I'm thinking something from boot camp since it doesn't turn up in any of my books.

Steve Hesson

• 9 months later...

I believe that the Choir specialty rating patch was only worn during entry level training just like the "mini" navy rates with the square not in the center.

Allan

That is a cool design for a little seen patch. I saw one of these on a jumper at a garage sale a few years ago (before I started collecting...well, I really don't collect...er...whatever... :D ). and I thought it was something that was added (non-navy).

I have this patch...it is glued/attached to the back of a 1942 US Navy Yardlong photo

f043c83f.jpg

cb508abd.jpg

Well, there you go, Boot Camp. I would think that having this patch on his jumper would allow him to travel "Independantly" to and from pratice rather than having to be in a formation like all other recruits.

Steve Hesson

Garth Thompson

Here is another example but "CHOIR" goes in the opposite direction plus another I've never ID'd.

Garth

post-83-1305463037.jpg

• 3 years later...

In trying to research a recent find, I stumbled upon this long-dormant thread. I'll share it, in case anyone else needs to reference an example.

This is on an ID'ed undress blue jumper, which also has the white seaman group rate on the right shoulder. Unfortunately, there was no dress blue jumper to see if the choir patch was on it as well, but none of his white jumpers from when he made RM3c has a choir patch on it, so that seems to back up the idea of this being something largely worn during early training.

-- Jon

post-112103-0-20391800-1405099088.jpg