The greatest tank ace of WWII......

Jim Baker

Being an armor fan, this man really impresses me. I know some worshippers of Wittman are biting their lips, but consider this. In 83 days of combat, Sgt. Pool and his tank crew were credited with destroying 258 enemy vehicles. This included tanks, SP guns, and armored cars. He and his crew killed over 1,000 enemy soldiers and took over 250 prisoners.

He participated in, and was the lead tank in 21 engagements. He commanded 3 different Sherman tanks, all named "In The Mood". He knocked out no less than 12 German tanks, most of which were superior to the Sherman. He had a habit of going after Panthers and was known to get in and mix it up. Imagine intentionally going up against Panthers in a Sherman!!

Pool was twice recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Legion of Merit, the Silver Star, and the Purple Heart. He also received the Belgian Fourragère and the French Legion of Honor.

Not too bad............... for 83 days........ thumbsup.gif

Then consider this. He was taken out of combat as a result of wounds leading to losing his leg. So great was his talent, he was later recalled by the Army to instruct, and eventually he retired from the Army a living legend.

post-78-1185721630.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but he was all the time in 3rd Armored?

Sure has an impressive record.

Erwin

Yes, in the 3rd Platoon, "I" Company, 32nd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division from 1941 to 1944.

Erwin, I'm beginning to think we are the only armor guys here. I posted this on a predominantly "losers" site too. I bet I get a fight from the Wittman crowd. :)

CNY Militaria

Armor...BOOOO!!!! thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

Just kidding, I had never heard of him, but sounds like a real soldier that deserved at least one MOH!

Jim,

This is normal ........ there are few in the elite forces :lol: ...... the majority drool over those Airborne fellows pinch.gif ..... let 'em, more fun for us. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info, I'll go look him up as his career sure interests me.

Wittman. Well, they put him on this pedestal and honestly I'm not sure he really deserves it.

There were plenty more tank aces who did far more than what "Mike" did in Normandy. Barkmann for example, or that guy in the Assault Gun unit (can't recall his name).

Besides, they're too focussed on the German side, there were plenty of good US Armored guys too.

Going against Panzer IVs, Panthers and even Tigers with Shermans is a remarkable thing to do to say the least.

I wonder how many would be willing to do this today?

Might be a good idea to post some stories of American tank aces here?

Erwin

IMPERIAL QUEST
Erwin, I'm beginning to think we are the only armor guys here. I posted this on a predominantly "losers" site too. I bet I get a fight from the Wittman crowd. :)

Wrong you are my friend! I still keep my German tanker boots spit shined, and standing at attention on the top shelf of my closet. thumbsup.gif

Jim,

This is normal ........ there are few in the elite forces :lol: ...... the majority drool over those Airborne fellows pinch.gif ..... let 'em, more fun for us. thumbsup.gif

When the "bandwagon of brothers" craze hit ...I've always said I would stack any marine combat regiment up to any airborne regiment and these men were just trained as "marines". :D my point is that other men fought the war as well! fighting on the pacific islands your consistantly surrounded as well from those sneaky japanese.