Sherman in Combat...

Jim Baker

Nice bunch of photos! I hadn't noticed this thread till now so I will add a couple of my shermans Jim.

First up a recent arrival that I posted in another thread but appropriate for this thread.

Mike

post-1387-1201400881.jpg

this one has written on back "waiting to attack admiralty islands 1944"

sorry about the quality of the print. I am guessing he had these devolped in the pacific as the quality leaves a bit to be desired.

Mike

post-1387-1201401799.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nice pics, Mike.

Jim, here is another one for you. This time it is a Marine Sherman on Okinawa transporting some 29th Marines to the battle.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

29thMarinesapproachGhutaOkinawa4-1-.jpg

Great stuff guys, keep 'em coming!!

Mike,

In the photo where you see "Slopp..." on the hull of that Sherman makes me think of "Sloppy Joe".

Charlie,

Nice having another Sherman lover here. thumbsup.gif

Here are some M4's in the Philippines 1945.

post-2470-1202410402.jpg

An M4 along with an early LVT. Everyone looks to be pinpointing source of action?

post-2470-1202410742.jpg

These guys had a rough time. This was along the road from Linguyen Gulf to Manila.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jim:

I, too, always like a good pic of a tank or other AFV. Those pics are all very interesting.

Here is one that you may not have seen. It is a Stuart on a street in Honolulu during a War Bond Drive. I don't know the date but I am guessing 1942. Nice job of parallel parking too.

Regards,

Charlie

post-68-1185756214.jpg

That looks photoshopped.

Look at the guy in front, he has the ONLY shadow, and it fades?

Guys sitting on turret also has wrong lighting, and looks pasted.

I would like to see a hi res scan, but it looks fake.

post-2470-1202410742.jpg

Cashman,

Here is what I think is another shot of your flipped Sherman taken at a later date.

post-78-1205504298.jpg

this one has written on back "waiting to attack admiralty islands 1944"

sorry about the quality of the print. I am guessing he had these devolped in the pacific as the quality leaves a bit to be desired.

Mike

Mike,

When I said I thought that tank reminded me of "Sloppy Joe", I should have looked at the tank number on the turret. Anyway, here are a few more shots of Sloppy Joe. Sorry about the quality.

post-78-1205504670.jpg

post-78-1205504725.jpg

That looks photoshopped.

Look at the guy in front, he has the ONLY shadow, and it fades?

Guys sitting on turret also has wrong lighting, and looks pasted.

I would like to see a hi res scan, but it looks fake.

I disagree. I think the shadows in the overall scene are consistent. You are also probably seeing some lighting effects from flash.

Besides, what would be the point. It's a fund raising photo.

Here's one from France - not in the best shape

Thanks!!

This is actually a pretty good photo.

Another pass time for me is to scour the web and collect photos of US armor from WWII. Mainly Shermans, but also other tank models, armored cars, half tracks, etc. I replace the lesser quality photos with clearer shots as I find them. Something interesting for me is the number of related photos I come across from completely different sources, like the flipped tank. They may be taken much later and from different angles. This is especially true for destroyed tanks that have been left unrecovered, or stripped for parts.

I am also interested in seeing any websites that might have good photos of Shermans or WWII US armor. Anyway, I love the photos so keep them coming.

Getting some "teeth". Adding a Cullin hedgerow device.....

Picture taken on July 20, 1944

Market place of Saint Jean de Day, Normandy , Manche Department

3 Rd Armored DivisionCamo M4A1 (76) W Sherman

T

316th FS 324th FG

Thanks Jim. I have the original of that photo, as my grandfather took it when he was assigned to the 324th FG. I suspect it was from the late spring of 45.

Thanks!!

This is actually a pretty good photo.

Another pass time for me is to scour the web and collect photos of US armor from WWII. Mainly Shermans, but also other tank models, armored cars, half tracks, etc. I replace the lesser quality photos with clearer shots as I find them. Something interesting for me is the number of related photos I come across from completely different sources, like the flipped tank. They may be taken much later and from different angles. This is especially true for destroyed tanks that have been left unrecovered, or stripped for parts.

I am also interested in seeing any websites that might have good photos of Shermans or WWII US armor. Anyway, I love the photos so keep them coming.

Thanks Jim. I have the original of that photo, as my grandfather took it when he was assigned to the 324th FG. I suspect it was from the late spring of 45.

I wonder what hit it? It was enough to take the turret off the ring but not enough to knock it clear off.

Great shot Jim! thanks for posting these. I really enjoy seeing multiple photos of the same subject. Thanks again! Mike

Mike,

When I said I thought that tank reminded me of "Sloppy Joe", I should have looked at the tank number on the turret. Anyway, here are a few more shots of Sloppy Joe. Sorry about the quality.

post-78-1205504670.jpg

post-78-1205504725.jpg