Sherman in Combat...

Jim Baker

• 6 months later...
Here's an unusual rocket set up on a Sherman.

post-78-1201367960.jpg

Hey Jim, how have you been? One of your earlier shots is a 760th TB rocket tank. This was the first of 8 tanks in the MTO to be fitted with the 4.5 inch rocket tubes. It was an unusual configuration, using clusters of 3 aircraft rocket tubes.

My dad crewed in one of the 752nd rocket tanks for a while. You should see his letters and diary entries -- the guys hated these things, especially the 7.2 inch T40 rockets, which had a very limited range and were very inaccurate, not to mention extremely top-heavy and very high-profile. The 7.2 inchers were replaced with 4.5 inchers, which actually saw a lot of firing action in the final days of the static firing positions in the mountains of Italy just before the breakout to Bologna and the Po Valley.

On my site I have a section dealing with the development of rocket tanks.

http://www.752ndtank.com/RocketTanks.html

Bob

Hey Bob! Great to hear from you. I sent you a PM.

You know I love that site. One of the best armor sites on the net. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks Erwin.

This is getting tough. I have so many photos of the Sherman that rarely now do I see something I don't have. I need a fix. :blink:

A Sherman Jumbo (added frontal armor?).

It looks to have about 3 feet of concrete formed onto the hull front. Anyone ever heard of applique concrete armor?

Concrete armor was frequently used both in the ETO and PTO.

Many of the tanks you see in the PTO with wood planking on the sides have a layer of concrete under that planking.

Ah, thanks Jim. It looks more like 1-1.5 feet thick measured perpendicular to the armor surface. A bit more reasonable since concrete weighs roughly 145lbs per cubic foot.