Pig at rest

bravo_2_zero

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The only thing the molders got wrong was the Forearm is too deep, but Gotta Love the Pig....Spent 33 months as a Gunner on them.

Also this M60 would only be correct for the 70s. 60s produced ones had some different parts.

• 2 weeks later...
drunkpunk19thGRU
Also this M60 would only be correct for the 70s. 60s produced ones had some different parts.

what part of the gun is wrong for a 60's nam bash sir? i also have a 1/6 weapon like that and i don't want to use it in a 60's nam fig if it's not historically accurate. thanks!

regards,

jake

what part of the gun is wrong for a 60's nam bash sir? i also have a 1/6 weapon like that and i don't want to use it in a 60's nam fig if it's not historically accurate. thanks!

regards,

jake

External parts on the M60 changed a few times during the VN war. Besides the design of the bipod yoke changing from stamped to milled about 1964 and the addition of magazine brackets to all of the M60s around the same time, the other parts changed were during two revisions in 1967 and 1970. The 1967 parts were the stock and handguard changed from sling swivels on the bottom (like a rifle) to on the top of the stock and on the left side of the handguard (swivel and little tab at 90 degrees) and changed barrel lock lever to a design to better prevent accidental opening. 1970 parts were the swivel & tab on handguard were turned to 45 degree angle, introduction of the long bandoleer hanger, and new safety lever. The M60s being used in VN did not all get these new parts right away though. Seems besides maybe the switching of the handguard and stock to 1967 style which made the gun much easier to carry, there was no real priority to refit all the guns, and parts were replaced with new versions when the old ones wore out or new ones were avaiable and there was time. For example, stamped bipod yoke barrels were very common early in the major US involvement and start to disappear as the barrels wore out and 1967 handguards were put on pretty fast (mainly in 1968) but many M60s didnt get the new barrel lock untill the 1970s. For the 1970 parts, the 1970 handguards are very rare to find a photo of in VN and the bandoleer hanger just does not show up in VN (1970-1973 is not the most documented time but Ive never seen a picture of one in VN). The magazine brackets were riveted on and seems like they just didnt bother replacing them with the hangers at the time. So, for example, the 1/6th M60 shown is technically correct for VN era, but its not really for being used in VN. Its not impossble for one to of been used in VN like that maybe 71-73 but it would of been very very highly unusual. The bandoleer hanger is really the biggest thing making it wrong. To make it correct, you would have to remove it and add a magazine bracket (which I doubt they make for models). And then repostion the sling swivel on handguard and switch the safety lever to make it correct for pre-70. And then get whole new handguard, stock, barrel lock lever, and maybe bipod yoke for 65-67. M60 accessories changed several times as well.

Anyway, I can post pictures of all these parts if you want to show what they look like.

Edit:spelling

I would be interested in seeing pics to model a early style M60.

External parts on the M60 changed a few times during the VN war. Besides the design of the bipod yoke changing from stamped to milled about 1964 and the addition of magazine brackets to all of the M60s around the same time, the other parts changed were during two revisions in 1967 and 1970. The 1967 parts were the stock and handguard changed from sling swivels on the bottom (like a rifle) to on the top of the stock and on the left side of the handguard (swivel and little tab at 90 degrees) and changed barrel lock lever to a design to better prevent accidental opening. 1970 parts were the swivel & tab on handguard were turned to 45 degree angle, introduction of the long bandoleer hanger, and new safety lever. The M60s being used in VN did not all get these new parts right away though. Seems besides maybe the switching of the handguard and stock to 1967 style which made the gun much easier to carry, there was no real priority to refit all the guns, and parts were replaced with new versions when the old ones wore out or new ones were avaiable and there was time. For example, stamped bipod yoke barrels were very common early in the major US involvement and start to disappear as the barrels wore out and 1967 handguards were put on pretty fast (mainly in 1968) but many M60s didnt get the new barrel lock untill the 1970s. For the 1970 parts, the 1970 handguards are very rare to find a photo of in VN and the bandoleer hanger just does not show up in VN (1970-1973 is not the most documented time but Ive never seen a picture of one in VN). The magazine brackets were riveted on and seems like they just didnt bother replacing them with the hangers at the time. So, for example, the 1/6th M60 shown is technically correct for VN era, but its not really for being used in VN. Its not impossble for one to of been used in VN like that maybe 71-73 but it would of been very very highly unusual. The bandoleer hanger is really the biggest thing making it wrong. To make it correct, you would have to remove it and add a magazine bracket (which I doubt they make for models). And then repostion the sling swivel on handguard and switch the safety lever to make it correct for pre-70. And then get whole new handguard, stock, barrel lock lever, and maybe bipod yoke for 65-67. M60 accessories changed several times as well.

Anyway, I can post pictures of all these parts if you want to show what they look like.

Edit:spelling

drunkpunk19thGRU

hi digilio. thank you very much for answering my question. and thank you for all the infos. haven't read the thread you made yet but i will surely find time to read it. again thank you for all the infos. very much appreciated. cheers!

regards,

jake

I would be interested in seeing pics to model a early style M60.

Ask and ye shall receive. The pictures I'm posting are of a pre1967 M-60 in Vietnam. I know with certainty that these pix were taken in Nam and range from early 1967 to about Nov 67 because they're my pix and my pig. In the third pic, taken at dusk and unfi=ortunately a bit dark, you can see the C-rat B-3 can that I sttached to the assault pack clips. the B=3 can provided a more gentle angle for the belt to enter the gun, virtually eliminating jammed belt/rouunds.

The rubberized canvas assault pack, by the way, was a POS. I had one but never used it....I don't know of anyone (at least in Recon) who used it. If you put the 100rd belt in it still in the cardboard (as you were supposed to, it kept the bag from collapsing on the belt) as soon as it got damp it began to disintegrate and the bits of cardboard got caught up in the links and jammed the gun. If you took the belt out of the cardboard box and laid it in the bag, the tips of the rounds would snag on the collapsed bag which also jammed the gun.

By the way B2Z....nice work on the mini M-60!

post-1107-1285022441.jpg

post-1107-1285022445.jpg

post-1107-1285022451.jpg

post-1107-1285022455.jpg

Last two pix of the 1 to 1 scale M-60 circa 1967. In looking at these again, I'm pretty sure these two were taken during Operation Swift in Sep 67. There's no B-3 can in the assault pack clip at this time.

post-1107-1285022839.jpg

post-1107-1285022843.jpg