Stolen Valor Act Ruled Unconstitutional

tom2001

• 3 weeks later...
Jack's Son
This is well worth a listen to:

johnny R.

Johnny,

I'm surprised your post has lasted this long!!

It is nothing but a political statement!! :thumbdown: .......Doesn't belong on the forum!

History Man

+1 with JS. It is also sad that they had to include politics (and a political attack) in this situation! :thumbdown:

Philip

As for political statements, the Stolen Valor Act is a political statement by Senator Konrad and Representative Salazar. Code Pink is a political statement (notice how they stopped protesting in 2009?).

It is difficult nowadays to seperate politics from military discussions since the two are more entwined now.

History Man
You would prefer the family was in the 5th row?

No, but I think they could have honored the man recieving the MOH without making political statements and insulting politicians.

Philip

No, but I think they could have honored the man recieving the MOH without making political statements and insulting politicians.

Philip

The politicians (in both parties) insult themselves ... we just highlight it.

Jack's Son

AJ,

I agree with your thinking, and politics does overflow in situations like this. However, the pointing of fingers at a politician or a party is where I believe we are overstepping our bounds. I'm not a fan of our current administration, but I see no reason to add it into a discussion of the importance of including the family and soldiers in a MoH ceremony.

No matter what side of the political divide you're on, I think it's important that broadcasters relate the facts of the event, rather than some fictional account of the award ceremony.

Here's the YouTube video of the ceremony:

You can clearly see:

To the President's left is the CMOH Society, with Giunta's fellow team members sitting directly behind them

Directly in front of the President is his wife, Robert Gates, Mike Mullen, George Casey, and John McHugh

To the President's right (in the front row) is Giunta's wife, parents, grandparents, and siblings.

The only thing worse than bad news is twisted "news"... I should have investigated before commenting. That twisted "news" story should be removed as well as my comments. That is a sick joke. Thanks for setting the record straight Tom.

johnnyrocket

I agree 100%—it's always good to have facts and set the records straight. Please delete the posting.

I like this Forum for getting to the truth, even though it's hard to find these days. I tried to track this

down for verification, but to no avail, thanks Tom.

Johnny R.

• 3 weeks later...
johnnyrocket

Nothing is as it seems today Dave, deception and deceit abounds.

I'm hearing the last week of June should be the announcement time.The Supreme Court usually announces these things at 10:00 a.m. on the last week of June of the their 2012 session.

Johnny R. ^_^

Nothing is as it seems today Dave, deception and deceit abounds.

I'm hearing the last week of June should be the announcement time.The Supreme Court usually announces these things at 10:00 a.m. on the last week of June of the their 2012 session.

Johnny R. ^_^

I didn't realize a SVA decision was pending ... WOW .... big week ahead.

It sounds as though the justices will strike it down for first amendment purposes only. Leaving congress to tighten it up in areas such as procession or wearing of.

johnnyrocket

Just heard that the "SVA" has just been declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Johnny R. :think: :crying: :(

Just heard that the "SVA" has just been declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Johnny R. :think: :crying: :(

Why the sad faces? Not to delve into politics, but I'm very glad that the Supreme Court decided that people have freedom of speech. If they limit the ability to make harmless lies, what's next? Talking about religion? Different political points of view?

We live in a free country and even though we might not agree with everything everyone says, they have the right to say it. This is why the people whose items we collect (and many of us) fought for our country for the last 200+ years...to protect these freedoms.

Thank you, Supreme Court.

Dave

Why the sad faces? Not to delve into politics, but I'm very glad that the Supreme Court decided that people have freedom of speech. If they limit the ability to make harmless lies, what's next? Talking about religion? Different political points of view?

We live in a free country and even though we might not agree with everything everyone says, they have the right to say it. This is why the people whose items we collect (and many of us) fought for our country for the last 200+ years...to protect these freedoms.

Thank you, Supreme Court.

Dave

Bingo.

johnnyrocket

How does this apply to the purchase of a MoH.—or is this yet another law separate from the SVA.

:huh:

How does this apply to the purchase of a MoH.—or is this yet another law separate from the SVA.

:huh:

The SVA has many provisions, the ruling today only apples to the claiming-of-decorations part (I think - I haven't read the whole opinion as of yet).