Stolen Valor Act Ruled Unconstitutional

tom2001

They should pass another law and call it the "Stolen Respect Act". How appropriate is that!

That will never work because the people you are talking about are the ones who would have to pass the act and sign it into law.

That will never work because the people you are talking about are the ones who would have to pass the act and sign it into law.

Your right :-)

These so called leaders add new meaning to the word HYPOCRIT! :lol:

Johnny R.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
johnnyrocket

FYI:

THIS IS A great site, with a very interesting posting today.

Johnny R.

LINK DELETED BECAUSE IT GOES TO A GERMAN MILITARIA DEALER

IMO a good analysis of the "lie" about Military Medals. Shame and disgrace, to me, are the best punishment for the dirtbags who feel it necessary to embellish their credentials. If they use the "lie" to benefit financially or otherwise they are thieves as well as liars, subject to appropriate laws.

As a collector I want to be able to honor the real recipients and preserve their memory through the military medals THEY earned without fear of government intrusion. Bobgee

IMO a good analysis of the "lie" about Military Medals. Shame and disgrace, to me, are the best punishment for the dirtbags who feel it necessary to embellish their credentials. If they use the "lie" to benefit financially or otherwise they are thieves as well as liars, subject to appropriate laws.

As a collector I want to be able to honor the real recipients and preserve their memory through the military medals THEY earned without fear of government intrusion. Bobgee

Well said.

..... If they use the "lie" to benefit financially or otherwise they are thieves as well as liars, subject to appropriate laws.

.....Bobgee

I completely agree with all of Bob's points, the one above most of all!!

A couple of random observations that have popped into my brain as I follow this case:

1. DoD is nowhere to be found in this case. This all revolves around the uninvolved.

2. While there is support for Alvarez' arguments, there is no constituency for the liars, no matter which side you take (Alvarez is a lying bucket of wombat puke -- by his own admission).

3. Valor is NOT a zero-sum game. Under some circumstances, every one of us could earn a Medal of Honor; under some circumstances every one of us could be a craven coward. Nobody's actions diminish someone else's unrelated actions. Alvarez being a liar in no way diminishes anything anyone has ever done. If you think false claims have the power to diminish others, just ask yourself how many liars would it take to turn John Basilone or Desmond Doss into a nobody?

4. When I raised by hand many years ago, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution -- all of it. That included protecting the right of liars and fools to be liars and fools.

This is a feel-good law designed to facilitate grandstanding -- by prosecutors, law enforcement agencies and politicians. It is best stricken from the books.

johnnyrocket

There is something that has been bugging me — has anyone notice that the news announcers in the media both LIBERAL AND CONSERVATIVE...have been using the phrase "winning the MoH" instead of recipient. The nomenclature of these media types need some improving when referring to our Nations Highest decoration for valor.

Three days ago I heard an announcer on "FOX News" of all people... saying that a certain Vet Nam vet (I have forgotten his name) having won 4 Medals of Honor...when what she was really trying to say was that he was awarded both the Bronze and Silver Stars plus the Purple Heart and one more medal that I can't remember.

I'm just tired of sloppy reporting from these media types

Johnny R.

There is something that has been bugging me — has anyone notice that the news announcers in the media both LIBERAL AND CONSERVATIVE...have been using the phrase "winning the MoH" instead of recipient.........I'm just tired of sloppy reporting from these media types

Johnny R.

This is nothing new....these guys have been screwing up this like this for years. News, is no longer about News. It's about sensationalism, drama, keeping ratings up and anchor-foxes employed. Accuracy comes last.

johnnyrocket
This is nothing new....these guys have been screwing up this like this for years. News, is no longer about News. It's about sensationalism, drama, keeping ratings up and anchor-foxes employed. Accuracy comes last.

No truer words were ever spoken... I agree 100%

Johnny R.

A couple of random observations that have popped into my brain as I follow this case:

1. DoD is nowhere to be found in this case. This all revolves around the uninvolved.

2. While there is support for Alvarez' arguments, there is no constituency for the liars, no matter which side you take (Alvarez is a lying bucket of wombat puke -- by his own admission).

3. Valor is NOT a zero-sum game. Under some circumstances, every one of us could earn a Medal of Honor; under some circumstances every one of us could be a craven coward. Nobody's actions diminish someone else's unrelated actions. Alvarez being a liar in no way diminishes anything anyone has ever done. If you think false claims have the power to diminish others, just ask yourself how many liars would it take to turn John Basilone or Desmond Doss into a nobody?

4. When I raised by hand many years ago, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution -- all of it. That included protecting the right of liars and fools to be liars and fools.

This is a feel-good law designed to facilitate grandstanding -- by prosecutors, law enforcement agencies and politicians. It is best stricken from the books.

Well said... best post todate on this subject.

The Stolen Valor Act is a grandstanding bill passed by pompous politicians who are insecure about their nonmilitary background and want to wrap themselves in the American flag while the cameras are rolling. Makes me sick.

These exact same politicians support the right of an illegal immigrant to enter this country and cancel out our OUR vote at polling stations every November.

So much for OUR RIGHTS and the Constitution...

Look who wrote the Stolen Valor Act ... then vote accordingly this November.

johnnyrocket

Vietnam veteran to be awarded Medal of Honor posthumously

By MATTHEW M. BURKE

Stars and Stripes

Published: April 16, 2012

RELATED

Stars and Stripes coverage of the Medal of Honor

Stars and Stripes' 2011 Heroes edition

The White House announced April 16, 2012, that President Barack Obama will award Army Spc. Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in combat on May 10, 1970, while serving as a 101st Airborne Division rifleman in Se San, Cambodia.

COURTESY U.S. ARMY

SASEBO NAVAL BASE, Japan — The White House announced Monday that a 101st Airborne soldier will be posthumously awarded the nation’s highest valor award for actions that took place in Cambodia during the Vietnam War, more than 40 years ago.

President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Honor to Army Spc. Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., a rifleman in Company D, 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, in a ceremony at the White House on May 16, according to a White House news release. The president will be joined by Sabo’s widow, Rose Mary Sabo-Brown, and his brother, George.

On May 10, 1970, Sabo and his platoon were ambushed by a large enemy force in Se San, Cambodia, where they had been sent to attack North Vietnamese units who were using the country as a staging area, according to an account reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The White House news release said Sabo “immediately” charged the enemy position and killed several soldiers. He then forced the enemy to retreat by assaulting a flanking force and successfully drawing fire away from his platoon members.

Later, during an ammunition resupply mission, an enemy grenade landed nearby, the White House news release said. Sabo picked up the grenade, threw it, and shielded a wounded comrade with his own body, “absorbing the brunt of the blast and saving his comrade’s life.”

Although wounded, Sabo then charged an enemy bunker, the release said. He received several serious wounds from automatic weapons fire in the assault. Despite his injuries, Sabo crawled toward the bunker and threw a grenade inside. The explosion silenced the enemy, but claimed Sabo’s life in the process.

According to the Post-Gazette, seven other 101st Airborne soldiers died in the ambush.

“His indomitable courage and complete disregard for his own safety saved the lives of many of his platoon members,” the White House release said.

According to the Post-Gazette, the 22-year-old from Ellwood City, Pa., was recommended for the Medal of Honor shortly after his actions, but the citation was lost. In 1999, a writer for the 101st Division association magazine came across Sabo’s records at the National Archives, and coupled with two members of Congress, was able to finally bring the recommendation to the president’s desk.

Rose Mary Sabo-Brown told the Post-Gazette two years ago that she was sure he would receive the honor.

“Two soldiers came to my house 40 years ago to tell me my husband was killed,” she told the Post-Gazette in 2010. “And now two soldiers are going to come to my house again and tell me that he has received the Medal of Honor.”

Leslie Sabo was born in Austria in 1948 and came to the U.S. with his family when he was 2, the Post-Gazette reported. The family briefly lived in Ohio before moving to Ellwood City. After graduating high school in 1966, he briefly attended Youngstown State University but dropped out to work in a steel mill, according to the Post-Gazette. He was drafted in 1969 and married Rose Sabo-Brown soon after while home on leave.

“I couldn’t be more proud,” Sabo-Brown told the Post-Gazette. “I’m even more happy that he’s getting it for all the guys.”

According to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, the Medal of Honor has been awarded 3,457 times since the first in 1863. The medal has been awarded 246 times for service in Vietnam, 154 posthumously. Today, there are less than 100 living recipients.

[email protected]

This kind of fighting spirit lives on forever with this presentation, it's the stuff our hero's are made of. I'm happy for the soldier, his wife, his comrades and his Country.

Rest easier! :salute:

• 3 weeks later...
Jack's Son

I have been looking at this thread, and I cannot remember what the topic of the original thread was. I looked at the first post under the topic, and the link referred to is gone.

Anybody remember??

shrapneldude

Bobgee and JBFloyd nailed it with their comments.

This isn't something that should be a matter of law - ANY law abridging free speech is unconstitutional. Publicly shaming these fools when they're caught is a far better response to the problem of phonies, and emphasizes the "double edged sword" of freedom of speech.

Our nation has a lot more problems than some fake war heroes if a handful of well-constructed lies is enough to "steal" the honor of REAL heroes.

This isn't something that should be a matter of law - ANY law abridging free speech is unconstitutional.

Grand Slam... Every Medal of Honor recipient in history fought for free speech ... and it took two politicians to create a law that takes it away IN THEIR HONOR.

Remember in November ...

• 2 weeks later...