Restoring UH-1 70 15784

Viking528

You might remember Jim from "the shadow of the blade" He flew her up to DC and she is now in the Price of Freedom Display.

• 4 weeks later...

Got her up to the pad in the front of the hospital. thanks to Jim from Bell. Just need to paint and we are good to go.

Thank you veterans for your service and sacrifice. My role in the VA is to ensure that everything we do says thank you to our veterans. I put every employee through an 8 hour retreat process to heighten the awareness of why we are there and who we serve.

post-8785-1282417875.jpg

Awesome thread, and photos. I LOVE UH-1s. Flew in a couple at Ft Campbell, and in the ROK. Good luck with the restoration. You could always go with the "Bunny" markings...

post-13574-1282528768.jpg

post-13574-1282529163.jpg

post-13574-1282529204.jpg

post-8785-1283211106.jpgalmost done, in and out. the guys from the Bell factory are coming on the 11th to stencil all the markings. It's coming right along.

WOW... Beautiful bird. Nice job on the interior. If you know where I might get an old one... I'd love to have one in my front yard... ;)

does anyone have a deviation card they can scan for our panel?

Don't know if you still need it, DD Form 1613, Pilot's Compass Correction Card. It's not available electronically, there's a copy (sorta) in TM1-1500-204-23-4.

Don't know if you still need it, DD Form 1613, Pilot's Compass Correction Card. It's not available electronically, there's a copy (sorta) in TM1-1500-204-23-4.

thanks, I found an original 1971 :thumbsup:

Nice job on the exterior. :thumbsup: I sadly had to walk away from our UH-1M restoration as I was going broke. Just the expenses involved with getting all the correct parts and the amount of time it takes to really get it right takes it's toll. I could have cut corners but I was out for getting it absolutely right. Instruments alone, even ones that aren't flight worthy, can get very expensive.

Some notes on colors:

Horizontal Stabilizers should be painted in FS 12197 International Safety Orange. I've included an image from the restoration I started. You can see the stabilizers have the original color to them.

Interior, rotor head, mast, tail rotor assembly FS 36231 - Dark Gull Gray

Again, good job! :thumbsup:

post-2582-1284326905.jpg

thank you. i have seen some indications that this squadron would likely have had a red w/white cav stripe on both stabs and a stripe over the cabin at the front doors. We still need to add the "kathy" art to the door and the triangle to the nose. You are right, the instruments run about 100 each as scrap but we got very lucky with Rob at Rotorparts.com who hooked us up. Since we have a compelling cause, our restoration was done with volunteers and donations, maybe a few tradesies on the side. We have had a tremendous positive response from the community as we have worked on the project. We will have a big dedication around Veterans day. I will post the finished deal as well as the festivities. In an era of big government spending, 0.00 of your tax dollars went into this project. The airframe would have timed out and been scrapped if we had not grabbed her or worse still would have been rehabed on your dime and given to a struggling ally to use against who knows who as time goes by. Even the paint, poly oil based was 5.00 a gallon on close out.

post-8785-1284859677.jpg

I flipflopped the K in the stencil and have to sand it off an re-do. I hate rework but am a finicky perfectionist. It even has quang tri deviation cards in both slots on the panel. The details are not finished, I need to put a red stripe across the triangle, white stripes on the tail rotor, make the mast and hub gray, etc... I am just so glad that the weather is getting cooler. There have been times this summer when you could not get close to the ship it was so hot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any at the moment. It came with all the seats so I put them in, but they are a mixed bag of black and gray paint.