Restoring UH-1 70 15784

Viking528

So now we have her and it starts... Jim White and his boys are coming up from Bell to assemble the rotor assy. The guys at the army depot in Temple hooked us up with all the parts we need on the outside. If anyone has any scrap instruments, we would like to put the panel back together so we can open it up for the vets and school groups etc...

I hate that you can't go to an air museum and get behind the controls of anything. We need both artificial horizons, hsi's, fuel and fuel pressure, engine and trans oil temp, torque, tach and radio gear. Since she was assigned to the 101st, we are going to paint her back and excercise, well, a lot of artistic liscense and put her in a 60's getup with the yellow band, star and bars and big white army markings. The subdued reality of late war just doesn't pop. Our appologies to those offended by correctness, we just want it to stand out. Any ideas on paint. The photos indicate almost a gloss OD leaning in the direction of brown. Can we get away with exterior latex? Ideas? I ordered a signal publications walk around to get the details. She is configured for desert flight, etc... so we will just have to overlook some of the details in the interest of the overall look.

post-8785-1279226207.jpg

post-8785-1279226302.jpg

memphismeister

imho I would stick to reality and refurbisher her back to what she was and not to what one wishes it to be

imho I would stick to reality and refurbisher her back to what she was and not to what one wishes it to be

That would be great if I were king. I chair a committee within a government organization and have to concede to consensus. She has been several things. A green medivac helo on the lawn would look like it was waiting for a patient. In trying to evoke a response to a historical icon, it needs to look like one. The subdued markings could be on an aircraft still in use, they have not really changed for 40 years. We are making a statement. The statement is thank you. Thank you to your Dad and my brother and all those who sacrificed in a terrible conflict with terrible consequences thanks to terrible political leadership. We at the VA are still picking up the pieces and helping those whose change was not for the good. Again, apologies to accuracy- it does look sharp though.

Cobrahistorian

I'm sure we can find you some high-viz UH-1 markings, but be aware that the 101st UH-1Hs would have been subdued except for unit markings and tactical identifiers. As for paint, go with polyurethane. DO NOT do Latex, it will not work and will look HORRIBLE. I worked on an AH-1S that was painted with latex back in 2003 and it looked absolutely awful.

The high viz bird you posted is a short-cabin UH-1B, so that won't work. I'm sure between Ray and I we can come up with some decent paint schemes, although I'll say I'm a purist and would put it back in its original 101st Vietnam colors.

Jon

memphismeister
That would be great if I were king. I chair a committee within a government organization and have to concede to consensus. She has been several things. A green medivac helo on the lawn would look like it was waiting for a patient. In trying to evoke a response to a historical icon, it needs to look like one. The subdued markings could be on an aircraft still in use, they have not really changed for 40 years. We are making a statement. The statement is thank you. Thank you to your Dad and my brother and all those who sacrificed in a terrible conflict with terrible consequences thanks to terrible political leadership. We at the VA are still picking up the pieces and helping those whose change was not for the good. Again, apologies to accuracy- it does look sharp though.

Cant fault your logic on this one

I will ditto the others. The unknowing general public won't catch it, but any Vietnam vet will be looking at it with a cocked head. I am for the dull cammo scheme as well.

I would say do the original VN paint scheme also. I guess it wont pop out as much but its still a big helicopter and people will notice it.

I hear what you are saying. The veteran comes first. Help me out with what it should be and I will do my best to get it pushed thru.

How about this one? I think it was the CG's ride.

post-8785-1279293643.jpg

Cobrahistorian
I hear what you are saying. The veteran comes first. Help me out with what it should be and I will do my best to get it pushed thru.

How about this one? I think it was the CG's ride.

post-8785-1279293643.jpg

That looks like a good possibility. Maintains a significant portion of high-viz markings AND the unit history of that bird.

I'll see if I can dig up anything on the 377th's helicopter det.

I found a contact person for the Battery A/377th Artillery (Aviation) after a quick search. Will PM his email to you.

Jon

That looks like a good possibility. Maintains a significant portion of high-viz markings AND the unit history of that bird.

I found a contact person for the Battery A/377th Artillery (Aviation) after a quick search. Will PM his email to you.

Jon

Now we're cooking with hydrazene!

Jon

e-mail a no-go :thumbdown:

Make sure you keep the doors off. The Viet Nam vets I know (including my dad) always rip VN films when they see the doors on the Hueys. :wink2:

With full respect to Cobra and other experts on this forum, here is another group that may be able to offer additional advice/help if you need it:

Army Aviation Heritage Foundation, Hampton GA

http://www.armyav.org/aircraft.html

These fellows are all-volunteer ex-military helo pilots and crews that restore these birds for the history and airshows.

They claim (I'm no expert) they are fitted out and painted in authentic VN configuration (several of their ships were there).

Last week I got to ride in one of their Hueys for 10 minutes (seemed like 20!) and it was worth every penny of the $50 I paid!!!!

Was my 2nd helo ride, the first was in a Bell 47 back in 1977.

In the Huey, I sat next to the open doorway (no doors), it was amazing. But I can imagine it was quite a different feeling if you were being shot at.

Cobrahistorian
With full respect to Cobra and other experts on this forum, here is another group that may be able to offer additional advice/help if you need it:

Army Aviation Heritage Foundation, Hampton GA

http://www.armyav.org/aircraft.html

These fellows are all-volunteer ex-military helo pilots and crews that restore these birds for the history and airshows.

They claim (I'm no expert) they are fitted out and painted in authentic VN configuration (several of their ships were there).

Last week I got to ride in one of their Hueys for 10 minutes (seemed like 20!) and it was worth every penny of the $50 I paid!!!!

Was my 2nd helo ride, the first was in a Bell 47 back in 1977.

In the Huey, I sat next to the open doorway (no doors), it was amazing. But I can imagine it was quite a different feeling if you were being shot at.

Great organization and I know at least a couple members here are affiliated with them. My Instruments IP is one of their Huey pilots and was probably the best instructor I had going through flight school. Funny guy.

AAHF's historic birds are all finished in accurate paint schemes, and their Cobra Demonstration Team is absolutely incredible. I just wish the Army had an Apache demo team like that.... I'd put my name in in a hearbeat!

Jon

memphismeister

Yes the folks down in georgia are amazing. I have a pic posted in here some where of me and my grandson with one of their Cobras'.

A couple of years ago I took that nice flight that actually lasted 20 minutes. They also took up a set of my Dad's wings in their cobra. Great bunch of guys

Make sure you keep the doors off. The Viet Nam vets I know (including my dad) always rip VN films when they see the doors on the Hueys. :wink2:

Unfortunately we will need to keep the doors on to keep out the weather and wildlife and such. The VA police think it will be a draw for teens. I snagged a couple of 70's SPH-3's from D.J. Goodwin today to keep in the cabin. Kinda salty, but will add to the flavor.

Viking hope you don't mind on your thread, but here is a pic of the AAHF's HU-1 "Comanchero"; I'm a bit color blind so not sure exactly what you call this color. Looks like OD to me.

33u5nqs.jpg

Window seats are the best!

2z7qzic.jpg

2ylmlg7.jpg

Well I'm late coming to this one. As one of the newest members of the AAHF, I concur that a authentic late Vietnam paint scheme would be great for your bird. Make no mistake, if you get an OD paint no one will mistake your bird for a modern Huey. The ugly helo drab that covers most Army helos today looks much different from a Vietnam OD. Here's a couple of other things that will sell your bird as a Vietnam era bird:

- remove any and all components of the ASE (aircraft survivability equipment) upgrades. Mainly I'm thinking APR-39 blisters on the nose and WSP kit from the roof and under the nose.

-repaint the interior gray if it's black. No black huey interiors in Vietnam as that was a NVG compatible mod. the fabric covering the back wall of the cabin can stay or go and still be accurate as many units removed it to facilitate maintenance.

-Please, please, please paint the rotor head gray. A black rotor head is a dead giveaway of a modern Huey. The most common color for the blades during the latter days of the war would be black underneath and OD on top with a 6 inch yellow stripe at the tips of the rotor blades.

-If there is a map light on the center console, pitch it.

-The seat armor should be green with black trim but many later ones are black.

- If possible, you'll want to get a new filter for the transmission cowling. the tropical filter on the bird in your first post is incorrect for a Vietnam era bird.

Take care of some of these things and paint her a nice OD and I promise the vets will definitely feel like she is straight out of Vietnam.

By the way, removing the doors or not depended on individual unit SOP. Plenty of units flew with the doors on their birds. i have hundreds of pics to prove it. don't get me wrong. I don't know everything about Vietnam Hueys and I'm always learning something new. The above observations are just based on years of experience researching the subject. Good luck with your project!

Ray

post-8785-1279726201.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their input. We have hooked up with VHPA and really like the D/3/5 scheme on "Kathy". We are connecting to Pilots and Crew for input. Cutters coming off, but no access to historically correct shrouds. does anyone have any additional photos of "Kathy" not sure on tail #.