How NOT to salvage a WWII fighter

earlymb

We can let this one stay since it's a quite interesting video on how not to handle relics. :)

Here's the moments just before and after the tail section broke off:

tailbreak1.jpg

tailbreak.jpg

D'OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pinch:

What the heck possessed them to think THIS was a good idea !?!?!?!?

Good thing that 65 years of corrosion doesn't impact metal structure of a submerged aircraft. Heck, I bet that thing could fly again once they finished drying it off.

:wacko:

Cobrahistorian

Well, I don't understand Finnish, but can anyone tell whether this is a Luftwaffe 109 or a Finnish one?

We've been very fortunate in that those firms who have pulled airframes out of the Great Lakes took their time and did the job right.

Jon

Well, I don't understand Finnish, but can anyone tell whether this is a Luftwaffe 109 or a Finnish one?

It might be in Norway, as the website is Norwegian. The Me109 is German, it has the Balkenkreuz. Finnish planes had a big swastika on the fuselage.

Greetz ;)

David

The Meatcan

I read on that linked site that the scuba club had been searching for that plane wreck since 1980 or something like that. Imagine their excitement at seeing the wreckage raised only then to have it ripped apart!

Still a pretty cool video though. Next time, let's hope it's a different salvage team :crying:

Terry

I read on that linked site that the scuba club had been searching for that plane wreck since 1980 or something like that. Imagine their excitement at seeing the wreckage raised only then to have it ripped apart!

Oh well, they now have 2 of the ultra-rare Me54.5's! :rolleyes:

Greetz ;)

David

In the off-season these guys design off shore oil rigs.

LOL! That is funny! I darn near spewed my salad across the computer screen!

Nice... absolutely no reinforcement or support as they lowered the item, which they did entirely too fast. They were handling it like it was a load of fish.

I'd love to hear what the aviation history forums are howling about this one!