Vietnamese Marine Corps Tigerstripe

River Patrol

vintageproductions

The set that was posted from the Dog Tag's website is the set Kammo-man is showing on his mannequin. Jason originally had it listed at around 10K dollars

Ah, I did wonder if it was the same set. I have certainly not seen another one like it.

Thanks for the great flight suit, too. The fact that it was a mid-weight fabric was a very nice bonus.

Yes, it was very nice. I sold it to Johannes a while back. Needed to free up some cash at the time. Kind of wished I kept it......

• 2 weeks later...

l it should be arriving in a couple of days. To me the print/fabric looks totally right for the silky poplin version of the first pattern. I have not owned the experimental pattern before, but I have had a few standard early pattern suits. Comparing the print features with the reference pictures of those suits and then looking at the equivalent feature on the early French style shirt in Johnson, this look right.......

However, while having had a lot of tiger uniforms through my hands, I have rarely brought hats.

If you look back somewhere in the tiger thread I explain this pattern.

You find Japanese brand hunting clothing made from this print all the time in the US , from XXXL trousers and jackets to overalls , always in this print .

Your hat is a knock off ,look at the busted seam .

In tiger part 1 I show the correct boonie cut in this print .

If it was $25 then you did ok as a wearer .

Help at all ?

o

Have waded through the Tiger pages before- an amazing gold mine of info. But to save another trawl, and excuse if I am being dense. But there is a Japanese hunting brand/print that is the same as/copy of the first pattern Marine Corps?

When the pattern was dropped the vendors of the fabric sold it to compaines who in-turn made up some hunting apparel .

Hunters like to look cool and nothing says cool better than tigers .

Sorry to ask again, Owen - your reputation as an expert in the field proceeds you. But just so I am clear, what Johnson calls VMX should more accurately be called the first and second versions. The first is the mid-weight coarser fabric bright suit that you have, then there is a poplin version of the same print, then there are two versions of the standard issue pre-67 VNMC pattern. The two standard issue versions have slightly less ornate edge detail than the first two versions. I have seen you suggest that the first two versions are the prototypes, which seems to make a lot of sense.

Now this is the bit where I am struggling a bit. The fabric of this hat is, from all the evidence I can see i.e. the more ornate detailing on the edge of motifs, is the second version of the prototype pattern. I have only ever seen this pattern a couple of times - the beautiful suit you have and one other time. Now you are saying there is hunting clothing made up in the second prototype pattern? I do not mean to be in any way disrespectful, it is just I am beyond amazed I have never come across it, seen it or heard of it before.

soar ,

I worked in Rag mills in the USA for 5 solid years as military picker 5 days a week busting 10 thousand pounds a day on a hard days work .

A pair of army trousers weighs 1.5 pounds .

You do the math on how much military I have handled professionally .

Now with my other business I also busted military bales but it slowed down to 500 lbs a week for a nother 5 years .

Couple this with hunting military up and down the states for 12 solid years , one tends to see more than the typical Surplus shop trawler ,bottom line you begin to see trends in everything .

Patterns in manufacturing begin to develop and from this I make a picture of what is out there and what happened during a specific time frame be it WW2 , Korea ,Vietnam of any other time frame .

On the subject of specific tigers well that is another long answer that we shall get to .

owen

Note to self... When you are in a hole, stop digging.

Secondly, always look at the big picture, etc, etc.

The vendor was surprisingly, or perhaps unsurprisingly, happy about refund.

Tim