WWI Cover EGA's

camelgreen44

camelgreen44

Thought these were both standard WWI cover insignia, are they the same period with diff, manuf.? Don't know much about em, just pick em up when I see em. Denny

post-334-1185655413.jpg

Hi Denny,

Yes, both emblems are from the WWI period. The thinner eagle on the left is commonly known as the M1914-22, Model of 1918. This pattern emblem was worn from 1918 through 1930, when the M1930-37 emblem of basically the same design replaced it. Many times you will find this emblem on 1920's barrack's covers and campaign hats, but it was also definitely worn during the final stages of WWI. You can tell the M1918 from the M1930 by the ovular shape of the head and wing pattern. Here is the M1918 (left) like yours next to the M1930 service emblem for comparison. Notice the head and wing differences?

The emblem on the right is a straight up M1914-22 pattern. Because this particular pattern with the "sparrow head" and razor straight bottom wing line is usually found in Marine groupings from the 1917-1918 period and usually has the same shade of brown paint as WWI USMC collar discs, it's my guess that this was the pattern that was mass produced for the big influx of Marine enlistees during WWI. While this pattern is one of the uglier of the 1914-1922 period, I still think they're some of the nicest, just because of when and where they were issued.

Gary

post-84-1185660801.jpg

Denny,

I thought I would also post some of the different M1914-22 pattern eagles for comparison. First one is of the "sparrow head" pattern you show, the rest are of the standard 1914-22 period with much different eagles. Notice the head and wing patterns.

Gary

post-84-1185661235.jpg

post-84-1185661252.jpg

post-84-1185661269.jpg

post-84-1185661284.jpg

post-84-1185661301.jpg

post-84-1185661318.jpg

camelgreen44

Thanks for the information Gary, and the photos. Way too many variations out there. Is there a good book out, that you know of, That might show these in ascending order ,by time period? thanks Denny

Denny,

Other than the Eagle, Globe and Anchor reference put out by USMC Historical Branch years ago and the small EGA reference by Steven Orgel in the back of Jim Moran's USMC 1912-1940 Uniforms book, there isn't much out there. Supposedly, there is a 2 Volume, 750 page EGA reference by Fred Bruier <sp? on the horizon. According to a fellow forum member here who is in contact with the author, it should be published and out to the public before too much longer.

Gary

I am hoping that the next step in the evolution of our EGA reference section will be a photo gallery showing EGA photos in chronological order: the kind of thing where you could more easily match your EGA's to a photo.

camelgreen44

Thanks Fellas, for the great insight into EGA's. I've got a lot to learn,and this Reference Section has really been a great help! The comments and tutorial lessons have really been eye opening. Keep up the great work. I know I'm hooked.... Denny ( I'll be looking here for more info on the new reference coming out.)

• 4 years later...
Leatherneck72

Enlisted service emblem....most common emblem seen on WW1 era campaign hats, bell crown covers, overseas caps, and helmets. The dress version would have been made of brass and gold gilted. Used past the end of WW1 until phased out in the early 20's.

Enlisted service emblem....most common emblem seen on WW1 era campaign hats, bell crown covers, overseas caps, and helmets. The dress version would have been made of brass and gold gilted. Used past the end of WW1 until phased out in the early 20's.

Thanks for the help. Ed