USS Oklahoma Mast Recovered, Now on Display

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

This mast was dredged up in Pearl Harbor in 2006 and has now been brought to the battleship USS Oklahoma's namesake. It is actually one of the legs of one of the Okie's tripod masts and is 45 feet long and weighs 22,000 lbs! With it's length and other pictures I've seen, I will guess it's the center leg of the main mast. Note how the end is crushed: to me that shows the effects of the Oklahoma's weight when the ship capsized and it's masts were crunched as they slammed in to the harbor bottom.

Click here for the story~~~~~>>USS Oklahoma Mast Comes "Home"

post-1949-1279084965.jpg

• 6 months later...

If you ever get a chance to go see the USS Batfish in Muskogee, OK, I highly recommend it!

I believe it's the only submarine of its class that wasn't lost in the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Pictures from the Muskogee War Memorial Park (Home of the USS Batfish Submarine) of the USS Oklahoma mast when I visited last year.

IMG_9578.jpg

I am glad it is somewhere the public can see it! The only thing that concerns me is that it doesn't look very well protected. I hope people don't start clipping off pieces of it when no one is around.

Kurt

You're welcome Nick. Yes Kurt, I would have to agree with you that the mast doesn't appear to be well protected. It almost looks as if they unloaded the mast as it was transported on a 18-wheeler and once on the ground just built a carport over it. I can tell you that while my wife and I were there, we were only one of two couples on the entire premises and there were just two people inside the gift shop. I'm sure they might have some cameras outside but still....I get what you mean. You would think that it would be better protected from the elements and souvenir hunters. Maybe they're just not done yet with the setup, which is a possibility I guess.