1st Cavalry patch variation HELP

Tom Pearcy

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could guide me to a reference (if there is one) that explains the many color variations of the 1st Cavalry patches from the 1920's-30's. What do the different colors of stripes and horse heads mean?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could guide me to a reference (if there is one) that explains the many color variations of the 1st Cavalry patches from the 1920's-30's. What do the different colors of stripes and horse heads mean?

If you belong to ASMIC they have great catalogs for sale. Their has been articles in the TRADING POST the ASMIC magazine that has had articles. Check out forums reference section which lists all the booklets you would need. Perhaps Barry Steins smaller version of his patch guide would be a good start. Hope this helps. Mort

The different color/number of bends and horse heads refer to different brigades as well as units - engineers, QM, signal, air section, MG sq, etc.

See Chris Aleck's Authorized Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the U.S. Army (ed. of March, 2010). This edition shows 19 interwar variants of 1st Cavalry Division SSI that were authorized from January 1923 to March 1932. The illustrations are black and white line drawings with detailed color coding, which in each case indicates the divisional unit or echelon that wore the SSI. (Info: Chris Aleck, Box 283, Worth, IL 60482-0283. 10 bucks + $2.60 postage in U.S.A.)

I'm trying to learn the good ones from the bad ones. Are all of those patches in Morgan's book real?

Patch Johnson

I will refrain from discussing his (or Stein's) book........

The original question was whether or not there was a reference book that explained the color variations seen on 1st Cav patches. Morgan's book does that, and Stein's has examples as well.

Let's get to the point that both Morgan and Stein used examples that were reproductions. However, that does not mean that the DESIGNS are incorrectly identified.

As far as that goes, I don't think that is any better or worse than line drawings appearing in either ASMIC publications or Aleck's book.

Perhaps a detailed critique of Morgan and Stein's books would be appropriate in their own separate threads.

If there are criticisms to be made let's get them out in the open for inexperienced collectors.

The original question was whether or not there was a reference book that explained the color variations seen on 1st Cav patches. Morgan's book does that, and Stein's has examples as well.

Let's get to the point that both Morgan and Stein used examples that were reproductions. However, that does not mean that the DESIGNS are incorrectly identified.

As far as that goes, I don't think that is any better or worse than line drawings appearing in either ASMIC publications or Aleck's book.

Perhaps a detailed critique of Morgan and Stein's books would be appropriate in their own separate threads.

If there are criticisms to be made let's get them out in the open for inexperienced collectors.

Gil,

Thais a great idea. Some one might want to purchase one or both, but if there are a lot of problems with them whay waste the money.

John

...a reference (if there is one) that explains the many color variations of the 1st Cavalry patches from the 1920's-30's. What do the different colors of stripes and horse heads mean?

Right. I referred to Aleck again and stand by my recommendation. Authorized Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the U.S. Army is completely responsive to the original question asked.

Right. I referred to Aleck again and stand by my recommendation. Authorized Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the U.S. Army is completely responsive to the original question asked.

No argument there. My reply was in response to Patch Johnson and Treadhed2.

...."However, that does not mean that the DESIGNS are incorrectly identified".....

Here are at least three designs in Morgan's book that are incorrectly identified.

1) 771st Tank Bn - wrong, it's the 275th AFA

2) 320th AAA Bn - wrong, it's the 320th AAA Balloon Bn

3) I forget what he calls it, but it's the 489th AAA Bn (SP) see photo.

There are several others, plus fantasy insignia. There are sellers on Ebay who use this book for reference, and sellers at shows who use these incorrect IDs - whcih sure makes it tough on new collectors who use this book for reference. When a design appears in a book, or on line, it gives credibility to it, and the author.

post-622-1279424276.jpg