A WET SEAT pack parachute

marineamtracer

marineamtracer

Ok guys I have a question. Experienced my first flood with the collection out in the open. To make a long story short one item does not want to dry. This being a packed seat pack chute and harness. Any great ideas on how I get this thing dry without unpacking it? The industrial strength dehumidifiers are doing nothing for this.

C

You can try a fan but Im afraid you may have to open it up and or lay it out in the open air.

RD

Unfortunately, I think Ron is correct on this one. If you don't get the fabric aired out quickly, mold and mildew will set in and do damage to the item. Damage could be anything from black mildew spots or actual rotting of the fabric. :blink:

Cobrahistorian

Ron's absolutely right. You'll have to open it and air it out or risk much more significant damage.

Ditto. Do it NOW and don't even hesitate to think about it. And when you think it's dry, leave it out for a week longer and keep drying it still. Don't take a chance with wet chutes and packs.

Cheers,

Glen.

There is a reason they call the area where parachutes are packed a "loft". Chutes were/are always hung to dry to insure there was no moisture, dew, etc., on the canopy before re-packing. Even the slightest amount could be ruinous.

Considering the length of time you have gone, there could already be major damage from a soaking. Open it up!!

Once you get it dry, hit the yellow pages for the nearest skydiving place to see about getting it re-packed. Be forewarned, you might run into very strong reluctance on the part of the riggers to re-pack the chute as they have no idea if you are some kind of nutcase who might try to jump with a sixty year old (illegal) parachute. One thing that might make the rigger feel better would be if, right off the bat, you inquire about getting the chute repacked AND SEWN SHUT so it cannot open. A second benefit of sewing is you don't have to worry about some joker grabbing the rip cord and pulling, thinking he is being funny.

Tom