ww2 airborne cap patches

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

thought i would share my abn cap patch collection. some hard to find ones here. like the medical, brit made cap patch for inf. so on so on. please i would love to hear some feedback. also does anyone have some for sale just thought i ask. thanks in advance.

post-11207-1278980064.jpg

Sgt Saunders

Nice collection! Thanks for showing them.

I like the 2 bomber style.

Checkmate King 2
White Rook Out

WoW!!!!.. :w00t: ..those are awesome!!......mike :thumbsup:

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

Excellent WWII Airborne Cap Patches you have got there in your collection

Some nice "Rare Variations" as well :thumbsup: .

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Very nice collection Bill! I like the Arty red glider and maroon bordered variants...very hard to find. (I actually have a collection of abn garrison caps which feature quite a number of patches which are similar to some of yours)

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

BILL THE PATCH
Very nice collection Bill! I like the Arty red glider and maroon bordered variants...very hard to find. (I actually have a collection of abn garrison caps which feature quite a number of patches which are similar to some of yours)

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

would love to see them :D

Nice collection. But some people might not know which patches stand for which brand.

Like me...

Thanks for showing !

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

26th Infantry "Yankee" Division

Army Nurse Corps

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA) to ETO men

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA)

KIA Purple Hearts specific men

My personal website about the 26th Infantry Division:

Nice collection. But some people might not know which patches stand for which brand.

Like me...

Thanks for showing !

I agree Silvano. Not to sound dumb, but whats are the differneces between some of the patches? Why do some of the gliders have chutes and some do not, or just a plain chute? If the red is for artillery, is the white for infantry? Which one is the medical one? Why do some face left and others face to the right....officers vs enlisted?

Just trying to learn in case I run into any of these somewhere....thanks for sharing, they look great.

Troy

BigJohn#3RD

The Patches Started off as Airborne and then Glider, Blue for Infantry and Red for Artillery and Engineer Units about 1942. They started combine the Glider and patches patches some time in late 44 or 45, but still retaining the Blue and Red, I think primarily because many of the later units, 11, 17th and 13th Airborne unit troops were trained as Paratroopers and then trained or assigned to glider units. By mid 45 you started to see a Red, Blue and White combined Glider Airborne patch that you see from then until recently when they did away with the Overseas cap for Airborne trained personnel that were not assigned to an airborne unit favor of the black beret which was stolen from the Rangers but the Chief of Staff of the Army and His Sergeant Major who were both tread heads My personal view not endorsed by the Department of the Army. This is just off the top of my head to answer the question. I'm sure some one on the forum can give a better answer as to the exact dates.

Regards,

John

There is an exception the Red Glider with white background in the second picture which was worn during the invasion of Southern France by the First Airborne Task Force under the command of MG Frederick former commander of 1SSF (Devils Brigade) and later commander of the 45th Inf Div (Thunderbirds)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The blue-background red-border white-glider-and-chute "combined" patch was an 82nd Airborne idea, being issued to all then-integral 82nd units in the USA before they left for North Africa.

The 101st started adopting it post-Holland.

The 507th and 508th both turned up in England with the white on light blue parachute-only patch, with the 508th being "convinced" to go over to the combined patch post-Normandy (if not post-Holland - it's hard to tell, as the change-over seems to be a bit hap-hazard...).

Other units have time-period specific answers as well as to what they wore, on which side of the cap (the 101st parachute-only and glider-only patches changed sides early in 1944, for example).

Oh, and the red glider on white background with red outer patch wasn't worn by the parachute elements of the 1st ABTF, as they (if they wore any) had the parachute-only patch.

Cheers,

Glen.

2nd Armored in Europe : http://www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk

BILL THE PATCH
The blue-background red-border white-glider-and-chute "combined" patch was an 82nd Airborne idea, being issued to all then-integral 82nd units in the USA before they left for North Africa.

The 101st started adopting it post-Holland.

The 507th and 508th both turned up in England with the white on light blue parachute-only patch, with the 508th being "convinced" to go over to the combined patch post-Normandy (if not post-Holland - it's hard to tell, as the change-over seems to be a bit hap-hazard...).

Other units have time-period specific answers as well as to what they wore, on which side of the cap (the 101st parachute-only and glider-only patches changed sides early in 1944, for example).

Oh, and the red glider on white background with red outer patch wasn't worn by the parachute elements of the 1st ABTF, as they (if they wore any) had the parachute-only patch.

Cheers,

Glen.

my dad had only the blue glider with light blue backround, as a glider rider he had this all throughout the war. the cap patch with the maroon bdr was for medical troops with the glider regts'

Brian Dentino

Cheers,

Glen.

Quite right Glen. These came along pretty early on. I have a picture of a g-uncle in N.Africa (not real good one) that clearly shows him with the red/white/blue glider-para combo on his OS cap.....

Bill, great collection you have there! Lots of nice examples, and some rare one's to boot......that medical one is very nice, along with a few of your early glider only ones! Thanks for sharing.......and yes, what unit was your dad with? (Cant remember if you mentioned it to me before or not? :think: )

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!

Quest Master

Wonderful well rounded collection. Some very nice variants in there!

Thanks,
Van
Kosovo, Afghanistan (x2) and Iraq Campaign Veteran
1945 GMC DUKW, 1942 Ford GPW, 1944 Willys MB, 1944 Clark CA-1 Dozer, 1943 Studebaker T-24 Weasel, 1942 Harley WLA, 1944 Cushman 53 Scooter, 1942 Willys MBT, 1944 Columbia F-92L Bicycle, 1943 Huffman G-519 Bicycle, B-29 42-24791 "The Big Time Operator" Nose Section, B-29 Superfortress tails (Two), 1944 Navy SNJ-5B, 1943 Fleet PT-26, 1943 Pratt-Read LNE-1 Cockpit, CG-4A Cockpit (Two), CG-15A Cockpit, 1944 C-47A Cockpit, 1943 C-45F Cockpit, P-61 Nose, 1944 German 7,5cm Pak 40, 1940 German 10,5cm LfH18, 1944 German 2cm Flak 38, 1932 Japanese Type 92 70mm Infantry Gun and 1934 French 25mm Hotchkiss.
http://www.questmasters.us

BILL THE PATCH
What unit was he in, Bill?

Cheers,

Glen.

188th glider inf regt, 11th abn div

Bill,

This is a great collection! For some reason, I find the hat patch to be extremely interesting and have picked up a few along the way. That medical patch is really nice and now I see that I have another one I have to find! Here is my first (and nicest) hat patch:

post-203-1279279566.jpg post-203-1279279573.jpg

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Nice topic and surely a nice collection. Would it be possible to create a time-line on different types of OS-cap patches like these? Was looking through the Trading post, but found very little on this subject (of course, as an online member I do not have all the issues available). For example: in the above pictures I see the FE light-blue-bordered, dark-blue background, white para/glider patch. I have the same, but on cotton/twill with a gauze backing. I also have a variation that has only the glider in it. Are these variants were the color of the border indicated if it was inafantry of artillery/engineers? I also have a FE red-bordered, dark-blue background, white glider patch. So there, the red border would indicate arty? Were these types produced in the transition between the older types and the last type with red border, dark blue background and white para-glider?

I am getting quite confused here ;-)

Thanks all for your knowledge on this one! Cheers, Bocage

In my patch collection I mainly focus on World War Two to early post-WW2 Divisional Shoulder Sleeve Insignia | Always buying 94th Infantry Division WW2 items, books, photos, patches and post-WW2 veteran's reunion items. | Selling and/or trading my german militaria collection | All pictures are taken by me and objects shown are part of my collection, unless stated otherwise | It's okay to use the pictures for non-commercial purposes (eg. study, reference, etc.) | 94th Infantry Division Historical Society Lifetime Member | 29th Infantry Division Historical Society Member | ASMIC Member | Join ASMIC today via: https://www.asmic.org/join.aspx Make sure to like 94th Infantry Division Books on Facebook

All the best!

Bocage