The last official campaign medal strikes

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

The last official striking of the pre-WW2 US campaign medals all the way back to the Civil War was done some time in the 1950's. The medals were done by the US Mint, Medallic Arts Co. and, I think Rex Arts. They come in the same blue cardboard boxes the WW2 and later campaigns come in. They are struck medals with fine detail. They will be un-numbered with the earlier 1/2" wide flat crimp brooches. If a collector doesn't have the deeper pockets for numbered, attributed medals IMHO a very nice collection of quality official campaign medals.

Just for the record I don't consider that current GRACO junk worth owning.

Garth

For the pictures the earliest example will be on the viewer's right end the last official strike will be on the viewer's left.

The USN Yangtze, obverse

post-83-1278954551.jpg

Reverse:

DSC06897.JPG

Garth Thompson

US Army Cuban Occupation, from left to right 1950's strike, plain numbered contract strike and a No numbered 1st strike.

DSC06898.JPG

Cuban Occupation reverse

post-83-1278954762.jpg

Garth Thompson

The nice 1950's period official strikes can be found on ebay, both boxed and un-boxed, in the under $40 range.

Hope you find this informative,

Garth

dhcoleterracina

Garth I only have a few campaign medals and have stayed away for fiscal reasons. You have a good idea for those of us who want a quality medal but don't want to spend a fortune. I was unaware there was such good, post-WW2 medals out there. Its a bit scary that they look almost as good as those minted decades earlier. Dexter

Garth Thompson
Garth I only have a few campaign medals and have stayed away for fiscal reasons. You have a good idea for those of us who want a quality medal but don't want to spend a fortune. I was unaware there was such good, post-WW2 medals out there. Its a bit scary that they look almost as good as those minted decades earlier. Dexter

Dexter,

These strikes are slightly thinned than the earlier versions and some are official US mint strikes. They really don't lend themselves to being numbered. The ones I've pictured all came off ebay for under $20 each.

Garth