"Flying Legends 2010", IWM, Duxford, England.

Sabrejet

General Apathy
Great...thanks Ken! I'm glad you were able to find some shots from the pre-digital Duxford shoot! Have you got a copy of the one with you sat in the pilot's seat of "Mary Alice", looking out of the open window? If so, can you post it so's we can see that lovely ol' bird..and you looking dashing as a flyboy of course!

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, I will have to wait for tomorrow night and see what I can find, busy day here tomorrow as the college I attend is now officially closed for the summer we are continuing a class meeting tomorrow at my house with my fellow students, once that's finished I will get looking for some photos. :think:

Not certain about your comment about ' dashing ' , well dashed might just be about it :crying:

Ken

Ok Ken...and as you can see above, 517th has already begun unearthing the archives!

General Apathy

post-344-1278968263.jpg

Great...thanks Ken! I'm glad you were able to find some shots from the pre-digital Duxford shoot! Have you got a copy of the one with you sat in the pilot's seat of "Mary Alice", looking out of the open window? If so, can you post it so's we can see that lovely ol' bird..and you looking dashing as a flyboy of course!

Hi Ian, not certain that this one has been shown before on the forum, during the week that we were filming for the History Channel we nipped into the Duxford museum and posed as mannequins with twisted arms and feet etc, quite fun at the time and amused some of the visitors that saw us setting the photo's up. :w00t: :lol:

Ken

Very spooky Ken! I've got a 1:6 man-doll which looks just like you do there!

Ian :w00t:

General Apathy

post-344-1278970121.jpg

Very spooky Ken! I've got a 1:6 man-doll which looks just like you do there!

Ian :w00t:

Hi Ian, All the film stills were taken by a friend Seimon Pugh-Jones that was along with us in that capacity of taking promotional stills.

I belive that that is forum member 517th over the back of the shot :lol: and myself in the front position. ;)

Cheers ken

Johan Willaert

Since this is all about warbirds, I thought I'd bring up the following here....

Tonight I was cycling about 2 miles inland from the Belgian seaside between Ostend and Zeebrugge when my attention was drawn by what I recognised as being vintage AC piston engines in the sky... Looking up I spotted a rather large alu-colored (unpainted) airplane, definately old and multi-engined cruising at a rather low altitude and speed... Now it was too far away to make a positive ID, but the large tail told me that it might have been a B17 or maybe even a B29....

Are there any airworthy B29s in Europe??? Or aluminium finish B17s???

Weird as I don't know of any...

BTW Here's a picture of me looking serious in the captain's seat of Sally B taken about 20 years ago....

B17.jpg

Since this is all about warbirds, I thought I'd bring up the following here....

Tonight I was cycling about 2 miles inland from the Belgian seaside between Ostend and Zeebrugge when my attention was drawn by what I recognised as being vintage AC piston engines in the sky... Looking up I spotted a rather large alu-colored (unpainted) airplane, definately old and multi-engined cruising at a rather low altitude and speed... Now it was too far away to make a positive ID, but the large tail told me that it might have been a B17 or maybe even a B29....

Are there any airworthy B29s in Europe??? Or aluminium finish B17s???

Weird as I don't know of any...

BTW Here's a picture of me looking serious in the captain's seat of Sally B taken about 20 years ago....

B17.jpg

Hi Johan. Nice photo...and a mysterious sighting! The only airworthy B-17 in Europe is "Sally B"...and she's OD as you know. As for B-29s, the only one in Europe is "Hawg Wild"..the static exhibit in the American Air Museum.

Ian :think:

Johan Willaert

Hi Ian,

Talked to a friend about it this morning and he told me that last Friday he saw a PBY Catalina in the Belgian skies....

Could have been the same one as it was really too far away to make a positive ID...

General Apathy
Hi Ian,

Talked to a friend about it this morning and he told me that last Friday he saw a PBY Catalina in the Belgian skies....

Could have been the same one as it was really too far away to make a positive ID...

Hi Johan, mmmmh I think I might have seen a B-17 but it could have been a B-29, however a friend said there was a PBY over Belgium the day of my sighting of a silver unpainted aircraft, but we don't think the space shuttle was returning that day. :blink:

I think I am really pleased that you where not sat in the hot seat of an anti-aircraft gun hovering over the trigger, have you given any thought to an eye test this year, I recall when I was at your house a couple of months ago you were talking about your eyesight. :think: :lol::lol:

Ken

Johan Willaert
Hi Johan, have you given any thought to an eye test this year, I recall when I was at your house a couple of months ago you were talking about your eyesight. :think: :lol::lol:

Hi Ken, Actually there were so many nice 'engines' at the coast, I couldn't pay full attention to what was flying around.... ;)

General Apathy
Hi Ken, Actually there were so many nice 'engines' at the coast, I couldn't pay full attention to what was flying around.... ;)

Hi Johan, roger that, fully understood :lol::lol:;)

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1279104242.jpg

Hi Ian. here is another photo I have of the Duxford film shoot we did in the ' Mary Alice '.

Myself at the front ( change of clothing & equipment ) and at the rear Thomas Schott from Switzerland.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1279104553.jpg

Hi Ian. and another photo I have of the Duxford film shoot we did in the ' Mary Alice '.

Ken

post-344-1279104553.jpg

Hi Ian. and another photo I have of the Duxford film shoot we did in the ' Mary Alice '.

Ken

Hi Ken. Thanks for posting the additional pics. The b&w shots look very authentic/atmospheric. Did Seimon take those too?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Once again you have done yourself proud ! Wonderful photos of a spectacular event.

The Forum Administration should institute a new member category......."AMBASSADOR".

Yourself and a couple of others come to mind for immediate membership.

Thanks for bringing all of these otherwise unseen events to us. :thumbsup:

General Apathy

post-344-1279122238.jpg

Hi Ian, this is another one of Seimon Pugh-Jones photographs that he framed for me, 18 x 16 inches photograph plus surround and frame. ;)

Really enjoyed our time there working around the Mary-Alice one of the most complete of this model of aircraft.

I probably have other stuff around, but it's all over the place and not been kept together. :blink:

Ken

General Apathy
Wow nice impression !!! wish I'd been there :)!!!

Hi Jerry, Regarding the photographs that I have added at Ian's request, then thank you for the compliment that you would have liked to have been there. ;)

I'm sure Ian will appreciate your comment as well.

Ken

Hi Ian,

Once again you have done yourself proud ! Wonderful photos of a spectacular event.

The Forum Administration should institute a new member category......."AMBASSADOR".

Yourself and a couple of others come to mind for immediate membership.

Thanks for bringing all of these otherwise unseen events to us. :thumbsup:

Thanks for those kind words. Glad you enjoyed!

Ian :blushing:

post-344-1279122238.jpg

Hi Ian, this is another one of Seimon Pugh-Jones photographs that he framed for me, 18 x 16 inches photograph plus surround and frame. ;)

Really enjoyed our time there working around the Mary-Alice one of the most complete of this model of aircraft.

I probably have other stuff around, but it's all over the place and not been kept together. :blink:

Ken

Another great shot Ken . Did it in any way give you some appreciation of how it must felt to have been in a ball-turret for several hours at a time, under fire and at -30 degrees under?! How DID those young airmen do it for real?! I salute each and every one of 'em!

Ian :salute:

post-8022-1278874079.jpg post-8022-1278874104.jpg

The B-24 and USN F-4. Note the B-52 and A-10 in the background!

I didn't recognize the F-4 at first, there were no puddles of fuel, oil or hydraulic fluid under it! That's how we knew when to service the systems, no fluid on the ground meant it was empty! :w00t:

Randy

Saberjet/Ian:

Thanks for posting some great photos of the latest Duxford air show. Not really expecting much, I visited Duxford in April 2004 and was floored by the history of the place and the aircraft. Boy, was I mistaken, this was a real gem. Here's a funny story about my visit:

We were touring the air traffic control room (not sure what you call it; it's the room with the giant table map of Britain and NW Europe and little markers pushed around to mark aircraft locations in the sky). Anyway, this room is located tucked away behind the big hangars. There wasn't any flying going on that day, as there had been some spotty showers all morning. In the ATC room, they play a 5 minute audiotape that describes the history of the control room and the narration includes the sounds of realistic period radio traffic and aircraft sounds. You could hear quite a dogfight going on in the audio. Then the tape ended.

But to my amazement, the screaming, diving aircraft sounds continued, like a P-51 pulling out of a steep dive.

"Holy Cow, that's not a tape, that's REAL!" I said... Leaving my family behind, I burst out the side door of the little hut and raced down a few steps. But I couldn't see a thing as the big hangars completely blocked the view. The "show" had been going on several minutes, and I knew it would end at any moment. Without any time to spare, I found myself running full throttle towards the ramp (apron) in the empty space between two large vintage arch-top hangars at this historic WWII airfield, all the while hearing the diving/strafing aircraft that was just out of sight. I'm not really that imaginative, and I don't do the re-enacting thing, but that's when it got weird as all of a sudden it seemed right out of a movie; we were under attack and everybody was running!! A surreal experience no less. I finally got to the open ramp and was able to watch the last couple of passes of the P-51 before he called it quits and circled to land. It was Ferocious Frankie, the yellow-nosed Mustang.

If you haven't been to Duxford, you gotta go see it, you will not believe this place for history (and the aircraft).

Regards,

Boltaction (John)

Atlanta Georgia USA