"Flying Legends 2010", IWM, Duxford, England.

Sabrejet

General Apathy

Hi Ian, been to Duxford many times and that SR-71 Blackbird wasn't there, appears to have arrived since they stopped flying and ground them, going to have to get a close up to that one, my favourite of post WWII aircraft, oh and the A-10 but I have seen these close up before and with the access open to the Gatling gun awesome. :rolleyes:

Also please pass onto Mrs Sabrejet ' looking good as well ' two classy chassis at the same event, you must have had a great weekend :lol:

Ken

Hi Ian, been to Duxford many times and that SR-71 Blackbird wasn't there, appears to have arrived since they stopped flying and ground them, going to have to get a close up to that one, my favourite of post WWII aircraft, oh and the A-10 but I have seen these close up before and with the access open to the Gatling gun awesome. :rolleyes:

Also please pass onto Mrs Sabrejet ' looking good as well ' two classy chassis at the same event, you must have had a great weekend :lol:

Ken

Hi Ken. Mrs Sabrejet says she bets you say that to all the gals!! :blushing:

Ian :lol:

Haven't been over since 1988.... Must make it back there....!

Thanks for posting!

1988 Johan!? That's not too long after the Wright Bros first flew at Kittyhawk! A lot's changed since then. You must try to get there in 2011!!

Ian ;)

An awesome event at an awesome venue, not been to the airshow for a few years, neede to go again sometime.

Mary Alice brought back some good memories before she was put behind glass for posterity..........517th

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I missed it!! Would've been great to see all these aircraft in the air.

Ian, isn't there another show in October??

Cheers.

Rob

The Meatcan

Ian - thanks a bunch for posting all the pix along with the commentary! Looks like an absolutely incredible event to attend.

I realize this is a US forum, but were there any German warbirds flying that day also?

Terry

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I missed it!! Would've been great to see all these aircraft in the air.

Ian, isn't there another show in October??

Cheers.

Rob

Hi Rob. There are several more during the remainder of the airshow season. There's the Battle of Britain event, American Air Day and the Autumn Air Show to name but three! Check dates and times on the IWM/Duxford website. Next weekend there's the big international show at RAF Fairford.

Ian

Ian - thanks a bunch for posting all the pix along with the commentary! Looks like an absolutely incredible event to attend.

I realize this is a US forum, but were there any German warbirds flying that day also?

Terry

Hi Terry. Glad you enjoyed! Yes...Germany was represented by an Me-109 "Buchon" (as seen in the movie "Battle of Britain") a pre-war Me-108, a Ju52 and a pair of Jungmeisters and Jungmanns .....Luftwaffe bi-plane trainers. The Soviets were represented by a brace of YAKs and an Il-36 Rata (a barrel with wings!)

Ian :thumbsup:

Johan Willaert
1988 Johan!? That's not too long after the Wright Bros first flew at Kittyhawk!

Well, I know I look old, but at least I had hoped not that old... :lol:

Yes, I really need to get back there and see all the new displays and AC...

But Beltring first...

Johan

Corpsmancollector

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting some great photos! Flying Legends is one of the highlights of the year, although I too haven't been for a few years. I participated in a US airborne display in 2004 (I think) when I was part of a group and we were allowed to 'patrol' the flight line and get numerous look-ins to the cockpits of these old beautiful war birds! A really great event.

Thanks for posting the picture of the P40! A personal favourite.

See you at Beltring?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting some great photos! Flying Legends is one of the highlights of the year, although I too haven't been for a few years. I participated in a US airborne display in 2004 (I think) when I was part of a group and we were allowed to 'patrol' the flight line and get numerous look-ins to the cockpits of these old beautiful war birds! A really great event.

Thanks for posting the picture of the P40! A personal favourite.

See you at Beltring?

Hi Will. Yes...you missed another great show...and yes, I'll be at Beltring too, but just as a day visitor this year. Hope we get another sun-soaked weekend!

Ian

Spathologist
post-8022-1278875767.jpg post-8022-1278875783.jpg

I spotted these behind a hangar. These tiny, two-seat SMART cars are very popular in Europe (my wife has one!) but probably not often seen in the US?

Austin, Texas, has a rental fleet.

BILL THE PATCH

I spotted these behind a hangar. These tiny, two-seat SMART cars are very popular in Europe (my wife has one!) but probably not often seen in the US? This pair have had British/German "Battle of Britain" style graphics applied. I love 'em! I wonder if I can persuade Mrs Sabrejet.....maybe not!? ;)

oh, go ahead an ask her and please post her reply i need a good laugh, :w00t:

oh, go ahead an ask her and please post her reply i need a good laugh, :w00t:

Hi Bill. These little cars are often seen festooned with colourful graphics...they somehow lend themselves to it because of their quirky styling. In fact the panels are mostly plastic and are interchangeable...so, if you want to change the colour scheme, just buy some new panels! Alternatively, as in my wife's case, add some vinyl decals to jazz it up! (An OD version with white stars would look pretty funky...IMHO!!)

Ian :lol:

An awesome event at an awesome venue, not been to the airshow for a few years, neede to go again sometime.

Mary Alice brought back some good memories before she was put behind glass for posterity..........517th

Hi 517th! Haven't "seen" you on the forum for some weeks...welcome back! I remember the photo-shoot you did in and around "Mary Alice" with Ken and the gang some years ago. If you've got some digital versions of the photos feel free to post a few here!

Ian

Rakkasan187

Ian,

Incredible pictures, thank you very much for sharing these. Would you happen to have any more information of the Pearl Harbor P-40?? Was she present during the attack? Damaged?

Leigh..

Hi Leigh. Glad you enjoyed. Yes...she's a genuine PH survivor and the world's oldest airworthy P-40B.

This aircraft was one of just 131 B-model fighters built by Curtiss at its Buffalo, New York plant in 1940-41, 41-13297 being delivered in March 1941

In February 1942, the aircraft crashed after the pilot failed to recover from a spin. The very substantial wreckage was eventually recovered some 45 years later.

On the 12 January 2007, the newly restored P-40B carried out its first flight in the USA, after which it was shipped to Duxford in time for its starring role in the Flying Legends 2007 Airshow. I've seen it airborne and she's a honey! Note the attention to detail on the prop!

post-8022-1278958231.jpg

I spotted these behind a hangar. These tiny, two-seat SMART cars are very popular in Europe (my wife has one!) but probably not often seen in the US? This pair have had British/German "Battle of Britain" style graphics applied. I love 'em! I wonder if I can persuade Mrs Sabrejet.....maybe not!? ;)

Oh right? Snooping around the back of the hangers were we??? Well if I see B-17 on a trailer being pulled down the M4 by a funky lookin' Smart car, I'll know who to talk to about it! ;)

Oh right? Snooping around the back of the hangers were we??? Well if I see B-17 on a trailer being pulled down the M4 by a funky lookin' Smart car, I'll know who to talk to about it! ;)

Hi Rob. If we're talking SMART cars and B-17s here, the SMART ain't much bigger than the Sperry ball-turret, so the chances of it towing "Sally B" down the M4 are remote!! :lol:

General Apathy

post-344-1278962532.jpg

Hi 517th! Haven't "seen" you on the forum for some weeks...welcome back! I remember the photo-shoot you did in and around "Mary Alice" with Ken and the gang some years ago. If you've got some digital versions of the photos feel free to post a few here!

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the offer of adding photo's taken at Duxford, here's one of four of the gang with an American veteran that just couldn't believe his luck to turn up when we were there filming and said that he thought he was seeing ghosts, all four are wearing original clothing and equipment.

I managed to get him up into the bomb aimers position after having a word with the producer, he was in tears remembering all of his past and his friends back in 1942-45.

Cheers Lewis

Great...thanks Ken! I'm glad you were able to find some shots from the pre-digital Duxford shoot! Have you got a copy of the one with you sat in the pilot's seat of "Mary Alice", looking out of the open window? If so, can you post it so's we can see that lovely ol' bird..and you looking dashing as a flyboy of course!