533rd Engineer Boat & Shore Regiment

disneydave

From my collection, a cachet featuring the Disney-designed insignia of the 533rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment. This design was created in the winter of 1942 and features a great image of a frog armed with a hatchet, lit bomb, knife and carbine.

blog_533_cachet.JPG

The 533rd was part of the 3rd Engineer Amphibian Brigade, which saw extensive action in the Southwest Pacific.

The following image is taken from a 408 page unit history published in 1947 titled, Surf and Sand: The Saga of the 533rd E.B.&S. Regiment. The hardcover book details the unit's actions during the war at New Britain, Saidor, Luzon, Aitape and Mindinao. The Regiment finished the war stationed in Japan.

blog_533_log.JPG

• 6 months later...
Guest windhaus

DisneyDave, my father was a Sargent in the 533rd Engineer Boat & Shore Regiment. I found your post at this site, registered and am now in full pursuit of finding as much information as possible about my father's unit. I notice you even made note of the a book, Sand and Surf, about that regiment. Can you help. My father died in 1992, and due to the toll the war took on him, he never shared much of anything about his military career with his family. In fact, he was so disturbed by his war experience, that he threw out everything. I have salvaged bits and pieces, but still lack so very much. Your post on the regiment is the only note I can find about the regiment on the Internet.

Sincerely,

Steve Windhaus

Hello Steve.

Here's a link to my blog with a bit more, but not much, additional info on the unit:

http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/2007/04/533...b-regiment.html

The book I referred to was a hardcover yearbook-type publication that has pictures rosters and info on where the unit fought. I do not have a copy of the book. There is one for sale right now in an eBay store. The seller has a "buy it now" price of $309 for it, which seems a bit steep to me. Here is the item number: 300061256604.

If you do not want to pay that price, maybe you could email the seller and see if your dad is listed in any of the roster photos.

Wish I could help you out further.

• 6 months later...
DisneyDave, my father was a Sargent in the 533rd Engineer Boat & Shore Regiment. I found your post at this site, registered and am now in full pursuit of finding as much information as possible about my father's unit. I notice you even made note of the a book, Sand and Surf, about that regiment. Can you help. My father died in 1992, and due to the toll the war took on him, he never shared much of anything about his military career with his family. In fact, he was so disturbed by his war experience, that he threw out everything. I have salvaged bits and pieces, but still lack so very much. Your post on the regiment is the only note I can find about the regiment on the Internet.

Sincerely,

Steve Windhaus

my dad was with the 533rd e company he did share some info with me over the years some stories he told was very dramaic some were on the funny side i will share what info i can

rod

• 10 years later...

Steve and Rod

My father was in the 533 as well

shore regiment E Company

I have found a copy of Surf and Sand online

https://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/ww_reg_his/196/

The Bangor Maine Public Library has taken on a project of digitizing old WW2 unit histories

I am writing a book about Dad I would like to speak with both of you about your fathers

Matt