WWII USMC Camouflage Uniforms

GIJive

Hello,

Here are some pictures of my recent P42 and P44 camouflage uniform acquisitions. I have owned a few of these over the years and sold everything a few years ago. I recently decided to start collecting USMC camouflage uniforms again and these are the latest finds. I will try to locate some photos of my past USMC uniform collection and post them in the near future. I also photographed some U.S. Army HBT combat clothing, including a camouflage uniform and will also post those pictures soon.

I am particulary interested in hearing from the lomg-time WWII camo collectors about the apparent practice of re-dyeing the uniforms with some sort of a darkening wash. I can't find any references to this in books or on the internet. I wonder, was this a WWII practice or did this occur post war when somone used this clothing for hunting and maybe washed it with a pair of new Levi's blue jeans? Only kidding, of course, but any information on this practice would be appreciated.

P42-1-1.jpg

Front view of size 42 P42 jacket.

P42-2.jpg

Pocket detail P42 jacket.

P42-4.jpg

Lower pocket detail.

P42-5.jpg

Back of jacket.

P42-6.jpg

Brown side with obvious signs of wash or dyeing.

P42-7.jpg

Close up of uneven dyeing.

P42-8.jpg

Sleeve detail showing uneven application of dye.

P42-9.jpg

United Carr snap.

P42-10.jpg

Front view P42 trousers, size 36W, 32L, excellent condition.

P42-11.jpg

Front fly snap detail.

That's all for now, I have exhausted my limit of photos on the Board for this post.. I will post additional photos of USMC P44 camouflage uniform and some U.S. Army HBT uniforms in the near future.

M1942 Marine camos in any condition are a big find, but these are truly outstanding. My opinion on the dark staining is that, as you suggested, they were washed along with some other stuff. Doesn't look like they were washed much at all, though! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M1942 Marine camos in any condition are a big find, but these are truly outstanding. My opinion on the dark staining is that, as you suggested, they were washed along with some other stuff. Doesn't look like they were washed much at all, though! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Flage Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I joined this forum based on some pictures I saw of your USMC camouflage collection. You have a great collection, by the way. I have always been fascinated by the WWII camo also. I am thinking that maybe you are right, this jacket just got washed with some dark clothing somewhere along the line. It hasn't been washed much, maybe just a few times. It is in decent shape, the pants appear to have only been washed a couple of times. No black paint is missing from the Scovill snaps on the fly. I would have posted more photos but I was limited to the amount I could post, after posting these. I am out of town for a week and will post additional photos upon my return.

GI Jive

Flage Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I joined this forum based on some pictures I saw of your USMC camouflage collection. You have a great collection, by the way. I have always been fascinated by the WWII camo also. I am thinking that maybe you are right, this jacket just got washed with some dark clothing somewhere along the line. It hasn't been washed much, maybe just a few times. GI Jive

My thanks- that's quite a humbling compliment. My " 'flagism" goes back to my first viewing of "The Sands of Iwo Jima" when I was around 8(specifically the Tarawa sequences, containing actual footage). And roger that- if that Coat had undergone a dye job, the green side would definitely not look as sharp as it does. However, it wouldn't surprise me to learn of the tan sides being occasionally sprayed with dark paint of some kind to "temper" the pattern; in my opinion, the tan side is next to worthless as far as camouflage purposes go. :think:

Here are some additional photos as promised.

P42-12.jpg

Rear view P-42 trousers.

P42-14.jpg

Rear pocket detail.

P42-15.jpg

Brown side P-42.

P42-16.jpg

Scovill marked black painted snaps.

P42-17.jpg

Color comparison.

P44-5.jpg

Excellent P-44 jacket with bronze USMC buttons.

P44-3.jpg

Reverse view P-44.

P44-7.jpg

United Carr snaps.

P44-8.jpg

Brown side P-44.

P44-9.jpg

Sleeve button detail.

That's all for now, more to follow soon.

Here are some more.

P44-11.jpg

Size 36 X 32 P-44 trousers.

P44-12.jpg

Rear view.

P44-10.jpg

Button detail.

P44-13.jpg

Size stamp.

Some U.S. Army HBT and comouflage next.

Outstanding stuff- no matter how much of these I've seen in my lifetime, I still don't get tired of checking it out :thumbsup:

Dang- time to take some more pictures. I have 2 variations of the M1942 'flage Trousers: 1 with 4 snaps in front and both pockets on the left side, and the other identical to yours, 5 snaps and the pockets staggered on each side.

Outstanding stuff- no matter how much of these I've seen in my lifetime, I still don't get tired of checking it out :thumbsup:

Dang- time to take some more pictures. I have 2 variations of the M1942 'flage Trousers: 1 with 4 snaps in front and both pockets on the left side, and the other identical to yours, 5 snaps and the pockets staggered on each side.

Flage Guy,

Same here, I never get tired of seeing the camouflage stuff and looking for variations. I had a matched set of P-42's a few years ago named to a 3rd Division Marine. His name was stenciled on the rear of the jacket (green side) and the rear of the trousers on the seat. They were a smaller size, maybe a 38-40 jacket and about a 32-34 waist. The trousers had the four button fly. All the snaps were Rau Fastener, provenance Rhode Island (Prov. R.I.). I don't remember the pocket arrangement but only one front and rear pocket on each side. I had a larger set from a bigger Marine and the pants were at least a 38 waist. Not marked on the waist, other than the Marine's first two initials and last name. My thoughts at the time were that maybe the larger waist size trousers had the five snaps and the smaller sizes the four snaps. Just a thought, nothing concrete to back that up. Maybe they were just made at different times. I know I have pictures somewhere. I'll dig them out sometime soon and post them for review.

That's a factor I never thought of; my 4-snap Trousers are 32" waist, and the 5-snaps are 36". I'll take some close-ups of each, because there is still the difference in pocket layout.

• 3 weeks later...
That's a factor I never thought of; my 4-snap Trousers are 32" waist, and the 5-snaps are 36". I'll take some close-ups of each, because there is still the difference in pocket layout.

All,

I tried to locate the digital photos of my previously owned P-42 camouflage sets but aparently they were lost when I had a hard drive crash a few years ago. I thought I may have had them on CD, but apparently not. I did, however, find some old photos of the first pair of P-42 camouflage trousers I owned several years ago. They are the four snap front variety and were approximately a 34 waist. They were in unissued condition and had a Paramount Movie Studios stamp in the inside of the rear pocket or the brown side, can't remember exactly. Also included is a photo of some USMC stuff I owned and sold years ago. I kind of wish I had some of it back, now. Enjoy!

P42Trousers.jpg

P-42 camo front.

P42TrousersBack.jpg

P-42 camo rear.

USMCStuff.jpg

Misc. USMC camo stuff.

Beautiful shots; I see you have one of those weird Marine Shovel Covers on that killer Pack rig :thumbsup:

Beautiful shots; I see you have one of those weird Marine Shovel Covers on that killer Pack rig :thumbsup:

Flage Guy,

Yes, I had two of those cover. One had the US marking stamped upside down, the other in correct position. I obtained them approximately twenty years ago. At the time, I thought some enterprising dealer found a bunch of unissued USMC shovel covers and stamped them with the US markings to make them more marketable, probably not knowing they were USMC items and thought they were Army issue. I sold the one on the pack rig. I think I still have one left.

Yeah, the pack was nice. Early rivited Depot made knapsack and haversack. I'm pretty sure the depot markings were fiscal year 1942-1943.

Jive

Great stuff and oustanding 42s.Seem they are still out there to be found!!!

RD

Doyler,

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, there still are some out there, but they are getting really hard to find and they're certainly not cheap anymore!

Corpsmancollector

Outstanding pieces of WWII USMC camo in freakishly good condition, well done and congrats! They are difficult to find in any condition and you've done very well to find such good examples :thumbsup:

Like all contributors, I never get tired of looking at this camo, it's such a great pattern! I recently posted my only set; some P44s which I have put together. I'm now saving to purchase a set of P42s that I have fortunately come across! :w00t:

Outstanding pieces of WWII USMC camo in freakishly good condition, well done and congrats! They are difficult to find in any condition and you've done very well to find such good examples :thumbsup:

Like all contributors, I never get tired of looking at this camo, it's such a great pattern! I recently posted my only set; some P44s which I have put together. I'm now saving to purchase a set of P42s that I have fortunately come across! :w00t:

Make sure to post some photos of your P-42 USMC camouflage uniform when you get it. I'm sure many here would love to see it.

• 3 years later...

I remember once around 1954 at Pendleton, one of the Platoon handlers had on a camo jump suit. He

was a WW2 vet, told us lots of stories about the caves on Iwo. This jump suit had buttons on the back

side so he could just un button the buttons, drop the bottoms and do his thing. He said thats all the

time you had. Most of the time your privy was mortar box, Does anyone else remember the jump suits?

I had issued a camo shirt and trousers as mentioned below. My kids had a hell of time playing with

the gear when I got home.

I remember once around 1954 at Pendleton, one of the Platoon handlers had on a camo jump suit. He

was a WW2 vet, told us lots of stories about the caves on Iwo. This jump suit had buttons on the back

side so he could just un button the buttons, drop the bottoms and do his thing. He said thats all the

time you had. Most of the time your privy was mortar box, Does anyone else remember the jump suits?

I had issued a camo shirt and trousers as mentioned below. My kids had a hell of time playing with

the gear when I got home.

This has to be the jumpsuit you refer to; pretty neat that you actually encountered a Marine who modified these Coveralls in the manner that we "youngsters" have only heard tales about...

post-3226-0-43426300-1381976602.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Boy, I forgot about all the neat stuff in this short thread. Been a while since I've thrown up any Marine 'flage uniform pics, so might as well contribute something here.

Here's a couple of 1942 Utility Suits hanging around the house for some years now...

post-3226-0-73574700-1387670614.jpeg

Details of the one on the left above: all 3 components are made from an identical dye lot, the Trousers being the brightest due to having been laundered less than the Coat or the Cover.

post-3226-0-48670400-1387670911.jpg