Another EGA cap badge, Shako type?

camelgreen44

camelgreen44

Found this one at a junk shop, mounted on a wooden plaque, with some shako type buttons. Any ideas here?

post-334-1185594498.jpg

post-334-1185594523.jpg

I had the same thing, complete with a shield shaped wooden plaque which I acquired oh, (and I really don't like to say this) over thirty years ago. Also on the four corners of the plaque were various round military insignia. These were put together by Bannerman's many years ago when they sold out their insignia supply. The pieces on them are good, or so I have understood. Nice pieces, though I always wondered if the paint on the shield was original.

Steve

I had the same thing, complete with a shield shaped wooden plaque which I acquired oh, (and I really don't like to say this) over thirty years ago. Also on the four corners of the plaque were various round military insignia. These were put together by Bannerman's many years ago when they sold out their insignia supply. The pieces on them are good, or so I have understood. Nice pieces, though I always wondered if the paint on the shield was original.

Steve

I agree Steve. And I think the paint is original as worn. When these Shakos went out of style these were sinmply "old surplus" parts. The pacques were part of Bannerman's innovative marketing to sell "old crap".

Good find today!

Bob

camelgreen44

Heres a pic of the plaque, a maybe clear shot of the badge, and the shako buttons. I'm really glad to here they were made out of actual surplus. Any idea as to when they were made up by bannerman, and as to value now ?

post-334-1185628116.jpg

post-334-1185628224.jpg

post-334-1185628244.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 7 years later...

I'd have to see the back, but pretty sure the EGA on that is a Bannerman's restrike, not Bannerman's surplus

It's also believed that the shields were painted by Bannermans, and never issued/worn in color