Odd size EGA

camelgreen44

camelgreen44

I have a few EGA's , but one appears to be a MID size, with a fine looking bird. Any ideas on period and use?

post-334-1185594126.jpg

post-334-1185594159.jpg

post-334-1185594175.jpg

The emblem you ask about is an early Marine officer's service collar emblem in bronze. They're almost always found slightly oversized on the earlier ones. Some say that with the embossed continents versus seperately applied continents and non cut out of the Gulf of Mexico would date this emblem to the 1904-1912 period, but I was wondering if you could post a close up shot of the pin catch? To me, it looks like a squashed roller-locking type catch that would definately date this emblem later. Another point of interest on this emblem is the unusual eagle and anchor. Very unusual styles on both which make it a not easily recognized emblem by any specific maker. It is a very nice emblem and a real keeper, but boy, I sure wish he could talk so he could tell us how his wing got clipped!

The other two are standard M1937 EM cover and collar emblems in bronze.

Nice stuff!

Gary

teufelhunde.ret

This indeed a new emblem to me. The eagle details are very unique, especially across the top of the wing, you can see the details of individual feathers. This is something special I have not seen before. The anchor stock is very close to the globe... also unique as most have been set off the globe some distance.

Camelgreen, can you post close-up photo's such the one's I posted here. I used yours to crop and enlarge... allot of detail has been lost. Like Gary, would like to see the pin clasp from the side. Thank you ;) s/f Darrell

BTW, more info on your WW2 emblems can be found in the EGA Ref. Sec. by following these links:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=544

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=542

post_334_1185594159.jpg

Copy_of_Copy_of_post_334_1185594159.jpg

camelgreen44

Sorry Guys, I just dont have the camera skills at this time. The pin assy does have a roller catch,broken ! Denny

post-334-1185653627.jpg

post-334-1185653642.jpg

post-334-1185653671.jpg

Denny,

I'm sure there will be others that disagree with me and will think this is a very early emblem because of the non-applied continents, but with that roller-lock catch, I'm guessing this emblem was made sometime in the 1930's when these roller-locks were first seen on insignia. The eagle's head and beak have very similar characteristics to the mid-WWII Hillborn & Hamburger sterling emblems, but that's about as far as it goes with comparisons. Very unusual pattern and it's one I haven't seen before. Maybe some of the other EGA collectors who pop in occassionally will recognize the pattern? Very nice keeper, though!

Gary

Here is the mid WWII H&H head that looks similar to me, but the birds are different in every other way.

post-84-1185665172.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

In my opinion, this emblem dates prior to 1920 or perhaps a few years later. While it is recognized the "rollover" safety catch which Bailey Banks and Biddle patented in 1918 was not licensed to other makers until after WW1, I cannot make out with certainty this is the device they used at that period and not what most makers used as in drop in or their own improvised rollover safety catches of their own design. I'm sure many jeweler's were improving their own versions of roll over safety catches well prior to the patent. think.gif

Nonetheless, the uniform reg's of 1922 called for accurately proportioned and clearly outlined continents of North and South America in raised surfaces with nine parallels of latitude terminating at the continents. While there exists some contradiction as to with the interpretation of clearly outlined meant applied continents... this emblem fails too meet the requisite number of parallels of latitude. It shows only seven parallels of latitude.

But back to the emblem. The eagle wings and feet defy identification in all photographic reference materials I have acquired. Especially the wings, the top of the wing, on most all emblems ever produced, with few exceptions... has been a rolled smooth surface that gently contours into the feathers below. In the case, the top of these wings are clearly and distinctly formed of individual feathers. The only time I have seen these type of wing configruartion, is atop some of the french collar emblems of WW1. Note, they to are not hallmarked.

From the form of the legs of these emblem as shown in the photographs I cannot clearly identify this style with any specific manufacture, the method of mounting is clearly early style as well as the close unusually close proximity of the stock to the globe. Having said that, from observation of several of early pieces, Gemsco was the singularly noted for mounting the anchor stock this close during the 1908 - 1920 period.

In the end, I just do not known whom produced this emblem, there are contradictory emblem features and similiar characteristics associated with all the known emblems of the period. I hope some day we will know who made this gem and we can get some better pictures as well. Thank you very much for sharing this unique emblem, to be sure this thread will go to refence section. S/F Darrell