72nd AAA Bn. Grouping. Myron E. Greene

LostDutchman

LostDutchman

I have been slowly buying a couple of pieces of this collection at a time from a family member. Myron passed away May 25th of 2010. Dr. Myron. E. Greene was a dentist. He spent 5 years overseas during WWII. He was involved in the liberation and treatment of prisoners from both Dachau and Wöbbelin concentration camps. He also made a documentary with 8mm films he shot throughout the war. It was released under the title "World War II The Odyssey of an Indiana Dentist" The group now contains 4 pieces.

A transcript of the movie and educational information about it can be seen here.

http://www.powermediaplus.com/furtherLearn...962-01cvxtg.pdf

Firstly this group was mailed to his wife in a captured German gas mask case.

2uqnptv.jpg

k37u68.jpg

Inside the cases lid.

21mhvrb.jpg

Inside the case I originally found the German flag. I later bought the helmet and Italian flag from the same family member.

nw0i2h.jpg

The helmet is named both in the liner and in the shell. It is a fixed bail and front seamed helmet.

2d1o4e1.jpg

2m5bjv9.jpg

oswy0n.jpg

a4yj4m.jpg

a59v1s.jpg

The Italian flag.

rtpytd.jpg

LostDutchman

The German banner is very interesting. It is one sided. Hand written in ink it reads "Taken in May 2 1945 from Ludwigslust Concentration Camp, Germany". The Wöbbelin concentration camp is just outside of that city.

2z6s776.jpg

2ldd4jq.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it!

LostDutchman
Nice to see you posting here, Matt. Glad to see you found the info on Greene too.

Only with your help buddy ;)

Man that is outstanding. That helmet is sweeeeeet! Hope you're able to continue to flesh out the collection relating to Dr. Greene.

Brian Dentino

Matt,

Unbelievable finds. Super nice grouping indeed. Is there much more to add to it from the family? I would say that the TR gas box is pretty cool.....just goes to show that they used whatever they had available and on hand at the time. And as for that helmet.....well, its a stunner :love: . I see that several other Hoosiers have weighed in....if you dont mind me asking, are you in IN somewhere?

But my favorite is that Nazi flag. I have talked with quite a few 325th GIR members who were the ones that liberated Ludwigslust Camp......very sad memories for most of the men involved in seeing a camp like this for the first time. A few interesting stories as well....some even tinted with dark humor about the towns people. Very nice item and one of great interest to me as well. PM me if you would like any further details...I would be happy to share but dont want to hijack this great thread.

LostDutchman
Matt,

Unbelievable finds. Super nice grouping indeed. Is there much more to add to it from the family? I would say that the TR gas box is pretty cool.....just goes to show that they used whatever they had available and on hand at the time. And as for that helmet.....well, its a stunner :love: . I see that several other Hoosiers have weighed in....if you dont mind me asking, are you in IN somewhere?

But my favorite is that Nazi flag. I have talked with quite a few 325th GIR members who were the ones that liberated Ludwigslust Camp......very sad memories for most of the men involved in seeing a camp like this for the first time. A few interesting stories as well....some even tinted with dark humor about the towns people. Very nice item and one of great interest to me as well. PM me if you would like any further details...I would be happy to share but dont want to hijack this great thread.

Brian,

I am in Indianapolis. I know both BEAST and Dwight personally. I wouldn't consider it hijacking if you posted some more information that pertains to pieces of this group ;) I'm sure we would enjoy the information about that camp.