Camp Wadsworth photo

D_Dutch

Hello all,

I bought a really nice photo showing a platoon at Camp Wadsworth.
The photo was from the man who is at the right of the photo, he was also in charge of this platoon, unfortunately the unit is not known.
Although I do not know his full name, his last name is Haab and he was from the Bronx, New York City.
The card was sent to his mother on the 3rd of January 1918, but since he writes on the backside about severe snow the photo would be made earlier in 1917. I wanted to send an inquiry to the New York archives but since I do not have the man's first name it is going to be tricky.

Greetings,

Koen. :)

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Hello all,

I am very sorry for the double post but thanks to the internet I have ID'ed this man! and I am having contact with his son!

It really gives a kick that I have found so much information within a day.

The Platoon leader is mr. A. Haab, who was wounded in France during the First World War. (Now finding out if he received the Purple Heart.)

Greetings,

Careful, here. Fort Wadsworth, NY is NOT the same as Camp Wadsworth, South Carolina.

Many NY National Guard soldiers mobilized at Camp Wadsworth, SC, many becoming part of the 27th Division.

Also, if wounded in WWI, he would have received a wound chevron, which could have been converted to a PH later.

I don't see any record of his Soldier in what is digitized so far of the 27th's records, though.

Good luck with the research and nice pic. If you discover the unit, let us know!

CPT M

Careful, here. Fort Wadsworth, NY is NOT the same as Camp Wadsworth, South Carolina.

Many NY National Guard soldiers mobilized at Camp Wadsworth, SC, many becoming part of the 27th Division.

Also, if wounded in WWI, he would have received a wound chevron, which could have been converted to a PH later.

I don't see any record of his Soldier in what is digitized so far of the 27th's records, though.

Good luck with the research and nice pic. If you discover the unit, let us know!

CPT M

Hello "CPT M",

I think that (in this case) Fort Wadsworth, SC is being meant as he was sent to Spartanburg for training.

A newspaper cutting about this heroic man stated; "It was under the attack of such men as Haab that the Hindenberg line bent and then shattered".

The paper also stated that he was a sniper within the first bataljon of the 107th of New York (27th Division), whilst figthing at the Hindenberg line.

He got wounded on the 29th of September 1918 and was awarded with the Purple Heart.

Further awards were the Silver Star and the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross!

Greetings,

Hello "CPT M",

I think that (in this case) Fort Wadsworth, SC is being meant as he was sent to Spartanburg for training.

A newspaper cutting about this heroic man stated; "It was under the attack of such men as Haab that the Hindenberg line bent and then shattered".

The paper also stated that he was a sniper within the first bataljon of the 107th of New York (27th Division), whilst figthing at the Hindenberg line.

He got wounded on the 29th of September 1918 and was awarded with the Purple Heart.

Further awards were the Silver Star and the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross!

Greetings,

I think what CPT M meant was that there was no purple heart award in WWI; this came about in the 1930s so your newspaper clipping must be 1930s or later. Servicemen with WWI "wound chevrons" were eligible for Purple Hearts at this later date when they came available.

The 29th September 1918 date was the initial attack on the most fortified part of the Hindenburg Line at Bellicourt, France. Both the US 27th and 30th divisons were attached to the British Fourth Army and were put in the forefront of the attack; the 27th had a particularly difficult time attacking the line just north of Bellicourt encountering significant resistance. Undoubtedly this is where your man was wounded. The 27th was mostly trained at Camp Wadsworth in South Carolina and the 30th was mostly trained at Camp Sevier about 30 miles to the southwest in Greenville SC. The winter of 1917-18 was one of the coldest in South Carolina and it was very tough on the men. Ice often coated the tall pine trees causing them to fall; my grandfather was at Sevier at that time and he said a tree fell one night and killed three men.