Air Corps base pass for licence plate frame

DaveP

Charlie Flick

Dave:

That is a neat find. Miami Army Air Field as located at what was then known as the 36th Street Airport, a civilian field. Today it is known as Miami International Airport, one of the busiest in the USA.

The ATC refers, I think, to Air Transport Command, as Miami AAF was not a training facility as far as I know. That probably explains the pelican with his bill full of stuff!

I don't think this is a Jeep bumper emblem. Jeeps and other military vehicles had their own bumper marking painted in a prescribed fashion for easy identification. I suspect that this is more likely a private purchase item that was placed on a civilian vehicle for someone who worked on the base.

BTW, I am a Miami native and still live there/here. My dad was a USAAF pilot as well but I don't think he ever flew out of the Miami AAF. If you ever tire of your emblem please let me know.

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

• 5 years later...

Thought I'd bump this back up for another look. I'm wondering if the Pelican and number 4 under it might indicate a squadron or group? Anyone have any clues for me to follow-up on?

thanks,
Dave

Moderator....can you move this to a more appropriate area? I was thinking maybe the shoulder sleeve insignia area since the emblem on this item may be a squadron?? Thanks, Dave

I've seen something like this before. It was described as a pass to get into the base. It was attached to the front license plate of the vehicle entering the base.