Need help identifying these patches and time period

crater

The first patch is VMF-312 (Marine Fighter Squadron 312). They used this patch in the late 40's and early 50's when the squadron was flying F4U-4 Coursairs. No clue about the second patch. - Jeff

I am thinking the 2nd patch has something to do with the Naval academy. The anchor in the center resembles that of the midshipmen cover device (as seen below).

1128_large.jpg

The phrase, "Don't give up the ship" was uttered by James Lawrence, captain of the USS Chesapeake during the War of 1812. I am betting there's an Annapolis connection with that as well.

PatchMeThru

The second patch, which is a bullion made patch looks like one of the modern day Pakistan ones. I have seen so many of them, that after a while you can tell just by the way the wire bullion is layed out on the design when it was made. Still nice though.

The first patch is an outstanding specimen. Bravo on that find.

First one is a GREAT piece! Nice example of my old squadron!!! (85-89), the 'Fighting Checkerboards'. The Original patch is the Dog with Machine guns and is round. This one would be post WWII used until about 1962 or so, when they were re-designated as VMF (AW)-312. The right side insignia was known as the "Barbecue Pit" and the lower left, "The Frying Pan".

VMF-312 did change it designation during the Korean War, I think from 1952-1954, when deployed on the USS Bataan, CVL-29. Although they changed their designation, I do not believe that they changed their aircraft. After Korea it changed back to a VMF after returning to the states. I have seen only one VMA-312's from this period, probably due to the short time it was authorized. From the looks of your patch, I am pretty confident that it is a pre-1952 patch, but of course this patch could have been worn by squadron members for years, especially if it was on a flight jacket. I know when I was in, I wore the first patch given to me on my flight jacket and by the time I was a Captain, this patch was then an older design as compared to what the new Lieutenants were receiving. Anyway, the patch you found is a great specimen, really like it. - Jeff