M17A2 Chemical-Biological Gas mask, bag & hood.

jcmilitaria

jcmilitaria

Hello,

I picked this up at an antique store, can anyone tell me what exactly it is and when it was used? It came with the carrying bag, and in a pouch of that bag was a waterproofing bag with the bag of rubber bands. The carrying bag is marked "US Mask, Chemical-Biological, Field, M17A2" and near the bottom it says "RBR". Inside the circle marking that is in multiple places on the mask, it says "86 M5(or S)A 2E51"

post-9310-1278443267.jpg

post-9310-1278443603.jpg

post-9310-1278450390.jpg

El Bibliotecario

It's exactly what you said it is, an M17A2 mask. The army calls it a protective mask, everyone else calls it a gas mask. Everyone in a field unit carried one for use in an NBC environment--which suggests to me that it isnt exactly rare. From my personal experience this type of mask was used in the '60s-80's; I'll let the NBC buffs tell you exactly when the 'A2 variation was in service. The probosis on the snout is for drinking water in a contaminated environment; now you need the proper canteen cap which mates to it.

I'm sure anyone who would buy such a thing wants to wear it--center the pad where all the straps meet on the knowledge bump on the back of your head, then adjust the straps. When finished, place your hands over the air intakes on the cheeks to seal them, then take a deep breath. If you can't breath, you have a proper fit and a good seal. Having accomplished that, strap on the carrier--one way is across the shoulder and under the arm--and see if you can get it on in 9 seconds--as best as I recall, that was the standard; again, I rely on the NBC buffs to correct me if I'm wrong.

militaria360

M17s and there derivatives are common.

Except for rare prototypes and variants:

http://www.gasmasks.net/database/usa5/usa5.htm

Note: don't breath through it; the filters contain chromium. (probably a negligible amount, but hey why not be safe?)

The canteen lid is called the M1 canteen lid.

To check for popper seal.

Make sure you’re shaved.

Cover both intakes, inhale, hold your breath if it stays stuck to your face it’s a proper seal.

Hello,

I picked this up at an antique store, can anyone tell me what exactly it is and when it was used? It came with the carrying bag, and in a pouch of that bag was a waterproofing bag with the bag of rubber bands. The carrying bag is marked "US Mask, Chemical-Biological, Field, M17A2" and near the bottom it says "RBR". Inside the circle marking that is in multiple places on the mask, it says "86 M5(or S)A 2E51"

It was manufactured by Mine Safety Appliances in 1986, that's what the "86 MSA" stands for.

Wait, what? Don't breath through it? Now you tell me.

If you look behind the hood at the forehead area, the size will be marked under the "US." Looks to be in good shape.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.