Airborne Jump Wing Question

I have a question for the airborne jump wing collectors. Were there any clutch back airborne jump wings made during WW II? I primarily collect AAF wings so I don't know much about jump wings but I know where a pair of clutch back wings are for a modest price. The clutches on this are smooth but, of course, they could have been added later. Thanks!

They did make clutched wings, just as they made other clutch badges during WWII. The length of the posts are a good indicator, as well as any hallmarks, brazing, and other qualities. You just need to be careful, as the vast majority of WWII jump wings are indeed pin back.

BigJohn#3RD

There are plenty of Reproduction/Post War Production Jump Wings both pin back and clutch back. This forum has a lot of information on them and I would recommend culling through them and asking questions before buying anything. I know it is hard to do but it is better to pass up on something rather then buy it and find out that you laid out good cash for something that is not period. I know from personal experience and I am sure there are many others who have made the same mistake. If you have photo feel free to post them and folks can advise you. Any how good luck and good hunting.

Happy Independence Day Weekend

John

I picked up the wing. Pictures follow. I did not realize it but they are maker marked: C P Co on the first line and N.Y.C. on the next line. It's kind of hard to make out in the pictures. From the length of the posts, I'm guessing post WW II. I'm assuming that C P Co. is Charles Polk Co. of New York. Polk was a maker of AAF Wings but I do not recall seeing them on the list of jump wing makers. Have any of you seen this maker on a jump wing??

post-4502-1278792623.jpg

post-4502-1278792645.jpg

Bump. Has anyone seen the C P Co N.Y.C maker mark on a jump wing before?

I believe this is the Charles Polk Co, of NYC. I have seen it before, and on some late war USAAF wings.

Patrick

A great piece and a rarer hallmark ~ very nice find!

Nope, only on pilots wings. Any chance of a better picture of the pins themselves?

A great piece and a rarer hallmark ~ very nice find!

Nope, only on pilots wings. Any chance of a better picture of the pins themselves?

I will try to get a shot of the pins later. They are longer than usual which leads me to believe they are post war. I have an aircrew wing marked C P Co. as well.

mshaw, In response to your question about whether there were clutchback jumpwings during WWII, I have enclosed photos of a set in my possession that belonged to Roy Barger who served with the 508th during WWII. He was a rigger who jumped into Normandy, according to the paperwork was captured for a short period of time, somehow escaped and returned to his unit for the remainder of the war.

He is no longer living so I cannot ask him the question where and when he received these but they did come with his jam packed photo album (also in my possession) consisting of WWII through early 50's photos as well as a few other items.

I believe this set to date from WWII but I am not an expert on the topic.

Kim

post-60-1279135404.jpg

post-60-1279135417.jpg

post-60-1279135427.jpg