Shelter 1/4 or 1/2

bilko1

Greg Robinson

I didn't know they made folding poles that late. All I've seen were 1942 dated.

Here's pics of two brass hardware folding poles, one is painted forest green and I suspect it was one that the Marines retained in service post WW2 and painted it so it matched the other, later ones in stock. Plus here's a nice set of pins. I like the grain of the wood on these.

Greg

post-4-1169490980.jpg

post-4-1169491058.jpg

post-4-1169491106.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1169497733.jpg

Hello Bilko, Marine-Kabar & Sgt Bilko for these posts, about ten years ago I bought 20 of the WWII USMC non-camo ' Tan' tents. These came complete with all poles, pins, and ropes. The reason I am adding this post is that the folding poles were all the same with each tent, but that they are different to the army poles marked U.S.. The tents and the poles, pins and ropes were all virtually unsed as will be seen with the poles shown.

The photograph shows at the top a set of the poles, pins and ropes bound together as they came. Underneath that is a single pole, note the very unusual hinged connector on the poles, it has an elongated hole running alongside of the pole, and the attached pole is pinned through this elongated hole. The poles are not print stamped as the army ones, they are stamped on the metal ferruls, ' Commercial Metal Prod. Co. Phil. PA. USA, Patent Applied For. The top of the pole has been turned down to a point , rather than a metal a pin and collar as the Army ones. I have found these same poles at other times with camo tents I have bought.

The bottom pole is the regular army marked ' U.S.' pole this one made by ' Pick Manufacturing 1942' . Something else to research and look out for ???? ( Lewis )

Thanks Guys this was more information than I could hope to get. I've seen the wooden pegs before and wasn't sure what they went to. Now I can keep my eyes out for the proper accessories.

I'm hoping I can get the tent cleaned up and with the accessories display it this spring at my annual military display and my high school.

Greg Robinson
Hello Bilko, Marine-Kabar & Sgt Bilko for these posts, about ten years ago I bought 20 of the WWII USMC non-camo ' Tan' tents. These came complete with all poles, pins, and ropes. The reason I am adding this post is that the folding poles were all the same with each tent, but that they are different to the army poles marked U.S.. The tents and the poles, pins and ropes were all virtually unsed as will be seen with the poles shown.

The photograph shows at the top a set of the poles, pins and ropes bound together as they came. Underneath that is a single pole, note the very unusual hinged connector on the poles, it has an elongated hole running alongside of the pole, and the attached pole is pinned through this elongated hole. The poles are not print stamped as the army ones, they are stamped on the metal ferruls, ' Commercial Metal Prod. Co. Phil. PA. USA, Patent Applied For. The top of the pole has been turned down to a point , rather than a metal a pin and collar as the Army ones. I have found these same poles at other times with camo tents I have bought.

The bottom pole is the regular army marked ' U.S.' pole this one made by ' Pick Manufacturing 1942' . Something else to research and look out for ???? ( Lewis )

hmmmmmmmm....let me guess. The Marines Corps got a deal from a contractor local to their Phila Supply Depot. :) But I'd imagine that at some point in WW2 they bought the "standard" folding poles through Army sources.

I guess a lot of those OD shelter halfs made for the Marines near the transistion to camo never got issued. What a find to get ten of them in unused condition.

Greg

Greg

This is my Ex usmc pup tent,

i've still got 2 of them pick mfg poles off you ken :D Also got 16 pick 44 individual section poles as well.

What is the earliest date for the "new" type pole?my plain shelter section came from the u.s and cost me all of $10+post as the guy hadn't a clue :)

Any one got any spare ropes?I'm looking for 4.

Dave.

post-39-1169500551.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up as i need to know when the change from open ended to new type closed took place??I have a gates 43 new type OD3 and wondered if there are any 43 dated ones in OD7?

Cheers,

Dave.

Greg Robinson
Bumping this up as i need to know when the change from open ended to new type closed took place??I have a gates 43 new type OD3 and wondered if there are any 43 dated ones in OD7?

Cheers,

Dave.

The Marine Corps made the switch in 1942 when they came out with the camouflage pattern shelter half. They didn't have any OD #7 tents made until 1952.

• 3 weeks later...
Greg Robinson
Check the different shades of OD#3.

Yep...I've come to view color shade variations as a badge of authenticity of US military gear, especially during wartime. For example, here's a 1918 dated US Army shelter half that I used to own. Note the end flap is a different shade from the main body of the tent. Perfectly normal and only the very anal collector would see this as a flaw. :D

post-4-1175272757.jpg

I've got two same as that greg thumbsup.gif Thats what i like as its a bit quirkey,same as transitional web gear :D

I have been able to pair up[same mfg and date] 3 complete tents.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

A question I have never been able to get answered... Is there anything in any manual anywhere giving instructions for what a soldier is to do if he is "odd man out" and there is no one to join up with to create a tent? I find it very hard to believe this wasn't addressed as it had to happen quite often in the field.

Tom thumbsup.gif