US Navy WWII pilot's uniforms from the thrift store

Bob Hudson

This was a fun find at one of the local thrift stores this past week: three uniforms that belonged to WWII US Navy pilot WM Hopper (I haven't been able to find anything about him). The uniforms each have a tag like this with the date 1944:

navy0725alabel.jpg

The tan uniform coat has a lot of mothing, but the other two - the dress blues and aviator greens - are in good shape and even came with the pants and the bullion wings! I come across a lot of Navy officers dress blue coats but this is the first time I've ever found one with the pants, to say nothing of the wings.

navy0725a.jpg

navy0725bwings.jpg

navy0725b.jpg

navy0725cwings.jpg

navy0725c.jpg

Each jacket also has the makers tags and the officers monogram (WH):

navy0725bmaker.jpg

Hi,

Great sets ... nice to see three uniforms of one same person, still more a naval pilot of the WW2! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Hi,

Great sets ... nice to see three uniforms of one same person, still more a naval pilot of the WW2! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

I've gone back to the store twice since I bought those, hoping his hats would show up, but no such luck :(

Nice set! I checked to see if he shot down any planes in WWII and he was not on the list.

Kurt

Nice set! I checked to see if he shot down any planes in WWII and he was not on the list.

Kurt

thanks... Is that a book?

thanks... Is that a book?

There is a book published by Frank Olynyk that shows all kills by USN aviators and another for USMC pilots. I believe they are both out of print though. I bought mine used about 10 years ago for $100 . Best money I ever spent.

Kurt