1915 USS Boston Sailor - Cracker Jack

This was on eLame a few months ago and I was very interested in this...but the price went well above my affordability level. What got my attention was the embroidery and detail work. I am curious as to the era this could have been worn...or if it is even a legitimate US Navy uniform.

post-9529-1278217586.jpg

post-9529-1278217603.jpg

Yes, it's a legit piece, we discussed it on here while the auction was underway. My assumption on it was that the detailwork was done in the early 1920s when the BUFFALO was stationed in Asia.

Dave

BigJohn#3RD

Interesting information on Navy Uniforms, not a collector of them but occasionally come across Navy uniform items for sale.

Happy Independence Day :thumbsup:

John

Thanks for the info. I should have checked the archives.

Wow...did I do that? I posted USS Boston in the title. I was sure tired yesterday.

Thanks for the info. I should have checked the archives.

No worries... I'm still curious where the guy got the 1915 date from. I e-mailed him during the auction but got no reply. It appears that it was from the same estate as a very nice WW1 US Army group that he had listed at the same time....but alas, no names on any of the pieces, nor did the seller seem concerned about such trivial details (otherwise I would have loved to have added this set to my collection!)

Dave

KASTAUFFER

This set looks like it could be pre-WWI to me. Sailors prior to WWI did a lot of "sailors art" embroidering items they owned. This looks like a uniform tailored on board ship and has plain rather than USN anchor buttons. I doubt he ever wore this while on duty.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

The second USS Buffalo (later AD-8) was an auxiliary cruiser of the United States Navy, and later a destroyer tender.

Buffalo was built in 1892 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, in Newport News, Virginia, as El Cid. Six months later she was sold to Brazil and renamed Nichtheroy. Purchased by the Navy from the Brazilian Government on 11 July 1898, she was renamed Buffalo, commissioned in ordinary a week later, fitted out as an auxiliary cruiser at New York Navy Yard; and placed in full commission on 22 September 1898, with Commander J. W. Hamphill in command.

Contents [hide]

1 Service history

1.1 1898–1915

1.2 1916–1927

2 References

3 External links

[edit] Service history

[edit] 1898–1915

Her first cruise, from 7 December 1898 to 7 May 1899, was from New York City to Manila and return, sailing east. Upon her return she was placed out of commission on 3 July 1899. On 2 April 1900, she was recommissioned and served as a training vessel. As a training vessel, Buffalo traveled widely. She made four voyages to the Philippines with replacement crews for the Asiatic Fleet (24 April–20 October 1900, 24 December 1900–13 May 1901, 5 June–13 October 1902, and 17 December 1903–14 July 1904). All except the last, which terminated at Mare Island, began and ended at east coast ports. On her last voyage, Buffalo conveyed the 1st Torpedo Flotilla to Manila. Between 12 September and 23 November 1904 she cruised in the Pacific, returning to Mare Island.

Out of commission at Mare Island from April 1905 to 17 November 1906, she then served as a transport until 1915 in the Pacific. During 17-20 December 1909, she carried Marines to Nicaragua and remained there in support until 16 March 1910. In 1911-12, she served briefly with the Asiatic Fleet in Chinese waters; and then from 14 November through 4 December 1914 operated off Mexico. She spent 27 January through 29 November 1915 out of commission at Mare Island, and then rejoined the Pacific Fleet.

[edit] 1916–1927

In 1916, she again served in Mexican waters, and between May and August 1917, Buffalo transported the Special Diplomatic Mission of the United States to Russia. Upon her return she was ordered into Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a destroyer tender and reclassified AD-8. Conversion was completed in June 1918, and after loading torpedo equipment at Newport, Rhode Island, she departed for Brest, France, via Bermuda. She then proceeded to Gibraltar, where she operated as station and repair ship to destroyers and subchasers. From February until September 1919 she had similar duty with the Azores Detachment at Ponta Delgada and then returned to New York.

On 31 December 1919, Buffalo arrived at San Diego, California to commence her duties as repair ship and tender to Destroyer Squadrons 11 and 5, Pacific Fleet. In November 1921, she was ordered to the Asiatic Station as tender to Destroyer Squadron, Asiatic Fleet, and arrived at Manila in December. During the summer of 1922 she cruised with the fleet in Chinese waters and in September arrived at Yokohama, Japan. She returned to the west coast on 8 October and was decommissioned on 15 November 1922 at San Diego. She was used as a barracks ship until stricken from the Navy List on 27 May 1927. She was sold four months later.

This set looks like it could be pre-WWI to me. Sailors prior to WWI did a lot of "sailors art" embriodering items they owned. This looks like a uniform tailored on board ship and has plain rather than USN anchor buttons. I doubt he every wore this while on duty.

Kurt

This is a Tailor made Liberty uniform. Uniforms of this nature were not worn on duty. They would not have been allowed to be worn on duty. Secondly, after putting in the ammount of money to have this made, you would not want to wear it aboard ship and take the chance of finding that one spot of wet paint, fresh grease or rust. I have done this with my own blues (and Whites) over the years.

This was not an issue uniform that had een odified. Having made Naval uniforms I can tell you that much of the detail work you see had to be done during construction of the items.

Steve Hesson

• 7 months later...

I remember this uniform for sale and the price also went well above my range, although in hindsight I wish I would have fought for it. I find myself thinking about this work when I see liberty uniforms, now I am thinking that I am going to take one on my modern day blues in to get this "reproduced" (I am on active duty). Not sure how that will fly at the next inspection though.

Tyson

I remember this uniform for sale and the price also went well above my range, although in hindsight I wish I would have fought for it. I find myself thinking about this work when I see liberty uniforms, now I am thinking that I am going to take one on my modern day blues in to get this "reproduced" (I am on active duty). Not sure how that will fly at the next inspection though.

Tyson

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Tyson

Rember, Liberty uniforms were only for Liberty, not worn on the ship, not worn on duty and for sure not for inspection.

Steve Hesson

Rember, Liberty uniforms were only for Liberty, not worn on the ship, not worn on duty and for sure not for inspection.

Steve Hesson

Ha, sorry I think my sarcasm did not come through well :D

Man, you had to bring this one back up! I was the secound high bidder on this. Still kicking myself for not bidding more.

Jason

I was watching this early on and set my snipe for my maximum. It quickly rose past and left me in the dust so the snipe was all for naught.

Ha, sorry I think my sarcasm did not come through well :D

Yeah, missed that. My son is a CTMSN and my sister is a CTICS. Both tell me the Navy has lost it's sense of humor and individuality that it used to have concerning "personal flair" with uniforms.

Steve Hesson (SMCS ret)

Count me in the losing bidder category for this amazing enlisted man's uniform.

I'm not sure of the authenticity of this uniform, but it's museum quality in my judgement.

If the purchaser ever reads this thread.... I'm ready to make you a fine profit offer... just gotta' sell some stocks, or the car toy...

-dan

• 8 months later...

Does anyone on here know what came of this uniform? I would like to know if it will ever be able to be seen in person...better yet I want to own it! :)