Compliments from Veterans

2ndID

Hey!

Share some of your experiences with veterans that have complimented your impression. To me, that is probably the most rewarding thing. Even the little compliment is worth sharing!

:thumbsup:

Michael

I recently attended the Reading Airshow along with my girlfriend. I was wearing my fairly new WW2 US Navy impression, dress blues with dress flat hat. I had improved on it after some good tips here, mainly getting rid of extra pins, facial hair, adding a comb in my pocket. My girlfriend had a Victory Roll hairdo, along with the USO band I made. My impression was a Machinist mate 3rd class.

As I walked thru the gate with my babe, I soon spotted my first vet (Navy), in a wheelchair. I thanked him for his service, and after shaking hands, he engaged me in conversation for a few minutes. I told him we try and do it as correctly as we can, and I hope I was at least close. He told me I was "good" and thanked people like myself that do this tribute to them. He also made a point of saying, "and her too." That started a great day for me.

Jeff Rodriguez

post-7784-1278037130.jpg

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I was at Reading too with two buddies portraying B Co. 399th IR, 100th ID in August of 1945. We were wearing our wools with ike jackets complete with ETO ribbons (with campaign stars), some good conduct ribbons, Presidential Unit Citations and CIBs.

We had a 9th ID vet, bronze star and purple heart awardee come up to us and say "You guys look great, just like we used too" and told us that he thought the Ike jacket was the best looking uniform he had ever seen.

I recently attended the Reading Airshow along with my girlfriend. I was wearing my fairly new WW2 US Navy impression, dress blues with dress flat hat. I had improved on it after some good tips here, mainly getting rid of extra pins, facial hair, adding a comb in my pocket. My girlfriend had a Victory Roll hairdo, along with the USO band I made. My impression was a Machinist mate 3rd class.

As I walked thru the gate with my babe, I soon spotted my first vet (Navy), in a wheelchair. I thanked him for his service, and after shaking hands, he engaged me in conversation for a few minutes. I told him we try and do it as correctly as we can, and I hope I was at least close. He told me I was "good" and thanked people like myself that do this tribute to them. He also made a point of saying, "and her too." That started a great day for me.

Jeff Rodriguez

Jeff, Well Done. The two of you look really great! You are the right body type for that uniform, and It looks like you're wearing it like a Sailor would. Look Great, Keep it up and Thanks.

Steve Hesson (USN '73-99)

Father USN '47-'67)

Uncle (USN "40-60).

In 2003, our unit financed a visit from a WWII veteran of the unit we portray. We paid for Jim's flight from his home in New Jersey to the Association of 3rd Armored Division Veteran's reunion in Seattle, and then to our club's public battle/living history event in Oregon. We outfitted him, and he "participated" in one of the battles by riding in a jeep in full uniform. We also paid for his hotel rooms, convention fees, and meals.

The veteran is Jim Cullen. He was a Staff Sergeant and squad leader in 2nd Squad, 1st Platoon, E Company, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, 3rd Armored Division.

Upon his return, I received the following letter which I consider to be the highest compliment possible for a reenactor/living historian:

"Men of E Co.,

On January 18, 1945, when I left the 3rd Armored Division, I never thought that I would see any part of it again. “E” Company, or what was left of it, had left the village of Sterpigny and was told to take the high ground over the next village—Cherain. We did, and the next day a mortar round took me, Ruebin Kline and Earl Cordell out of the fight. One officer and ten men then went on with the attack.

Fifty-eight years later, last week, I was back with the men I left on the hill. The same uniforms, the same faces, the same sounds and smells, the same equipment. If I seemed disoriented during your bivouac and battle, I’m sure you’ll understand. Although I am twice your age now, there are no real differences between us. When I talked to you, I felt as if I was talking to, and working with, my old squad in E12—fifty-eight years ago. The same strong character, the same humor, the same spirit. Thank goodness you haven’t changed!

Thank you for inviting me for the reunion and the Battle. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity. It was, and is, overwhelming. I just wish that all the other E Co. dogfaces, those that we left in Europe, could have been with us.

Thank you.

Jim Cullen"

Not a reenactor but if One is truly about getting "compliments" from Veterans and learning about "how real" it was and history, I would suggest taking time to visit Your local VA hospital. You want to thank a Vet, a few hours of Your time to read to a blind Vet, wheel him outside for a smoke, or just speak to him like a human being is TONS more rewarding than dressing up for a crowd. There are still MANY Vets from WWII and all other Wars warehoused at Your local VA Hospital that do not have family to do simple things that We all take for granted. They cant get out so You have to go to them. They did the walk, not just the talk and deserve better from ALL of Us. Try it, You will learn so much more about Yourself.

All the Best,

Rick

Plenty of reenactors are vets themselves. Even if not, you are pretty much preaching to the choir. Most reenactors have an appreciation of history and the sacrifices of the people involved that too many others don't.

Steve Borts

US Army, Infantry

1973-1993

Plenty of reenactors are vets themselves. Even if not, you are pretty much preaching to the choir. Most reenactors have an appreciation of history and the sacrifices of the people involved that too many others don't.

Steve Borts

US Army, Infantry

1973-1993

All the more reason to visit Your VA hospital.Its not about preaching to the choir, Its about being a brother Vet. Only seen 3 volunteers at the VA in Hampton at one time, all elderly Vets themselves. They do it not because 'its cool' or for the "appreciation of History" or what they can get out of it. They do it for their Buddies, past and present, they do it for The brother Veterans, the guys who did it but no one seems cares about. That is the Compliment I get when I am there. The question was asked,and I replied.

All the more reason to visit Your VA hospital.Its not about preaching to the choir, Its about being a brother Vet. Only seen 3 volunteers at the VA in Hampton at one time, all elderly Vets themselves. They do it not because 'its cool' or for the "appreciation of History" or what they can get out of it. They do it for their Buddies, past and present, they do it for The brother Veterans, the guys who did it but no one seems cares about. That is the Compliment I get when I am there. The question was asked,and I replied.

I agree with everythiing you said, and congratulate and applaud your efforts.

However, this question was posted in the reenactors section, and was specifically addressed to reenactors. If the question had been, "What have you done for veterans?" I , and many others, would have completely different answers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellaz! First post here.

When it's done well, the re-enactment/living history thing is educational in several dimensions: I was just returning from a "real world" trip to OIF/OEF c.2003 and happened by a WWII encampment at Lancaster, PA. In addition to seeing some cool stuff, I experienced a profound moment while chatting with a couple of young (HS or college-aged) Wehrmacht re-enactors with a 1940's girlfriend. Young folks did a great, low-key job and I was struck by how young and enthusiastic they were. Did the math in my head and yup, the real ones would have been identical. Impression made on me was how the Nazi political/war machine ultimately used, abused and wiped out an entire generation of their own young folks, in addition to everybody else they met. What an arrow in the heart, to "meet" them, eye-to-eye.

Keep doing what you're doing, and do it well. Those kids are learning more than they realize.